There are newer employer reviews for McMaster-Carr

I would never suggest anyone work here

Current Employee - Software Developer in Elmhurst, IL
Current Employee - Software Developer in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's decent pay and benefits

Cons

Exceptionally condescending attitude from management. Managers + directors have no understanding how to motivate employees or make them feel valued. Eventually anyone with any sense of pride or who wants to feel like they work in an environment where they're valued will quit.

Advice to Management

The people you promote to management and middle management are the reason you can't retain your best employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Finish your Work and Go Home!

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary and the benefits are unbeatable. McMaster hires very intelligent people with diverse experiences so you never feel like co-workers aren't pulling their weight. Everyone is held to the high expectations that were made very clear in the interview process, which again makes you feel like everyone is pulling their weight. While the supervisors and managers tend to be the youngest people at the company, they are very professional and great to work with. They are invested in their staff members' growth. This is not the place to work if you want to sit around and talk about your feelings and participate in team building activities. I appreciate the culture of "finish your work and go home". We do take scheduled breaks and lunches, which allows you to make friends and meet other co-workers during the day, but other than those times, the majority of the day is spent at your desk working on your assigned job or task. Most departments don't have a lot of meetings and one of the most refreshing aspects when I started was the lack of email and meetings filling up my Outlook calendar. There are plenty of opportunities to meet with your supervisor and find out how you are doing. In your first year you have 3 reviews complete with steps that spell out how to improve. The success of these meetings can depend on your supervisor but most importantly you. If you are defensive and not willing to improve then obviously they won't go well. If you show your supervisor what steps you are going to take to improve (even if you are already doing well) then the meetings are great. I was once told by a co-worker that the the best thing to do is "stay under the radar", but I disagree. I have been very vocal with my supervisor about what I expect to get out of my role, and what I need from him to continue to grow. So far, making my expectations clear has really worked out for me.

Cons

There is no flexibility in the work schedule but you get better hours with tenure. You have little say in what work you will do, but that is actually a positive because if you are doing well, you will get the opportunity to move around and get a well rounded view of the organization.
    It is made very clear in the interview process that if you don't come in as a management candidate, it will be a very long time (like 5 years or more) before you will even be able to think about moving into a supervisor role. They aren't as clear however that you may never be considered for roles higher than supervisor. The positive side is that McMaster doesn't care about titles so even if you don't get moved to supervisor, you still can get raises and promotions for moving to different departments and adding more responsibility to your plate.

Advice to Management

I think what I appreciate most is the way that everyone on staff is treated. There aren't any roles that feel below anyone else and as a staff member I always feel valued. As strange as this may sound, I appreciate that no one, no matter how high the position, has an assistant. At my former job everyone was very entitled and felt like they deserved an assistant. They proceeded to treat everyone below them without respect. Thank you for having so much respect for all of us.

Big Brother is Watching

Current Employee - Sales Advocate in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Advocate in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of money, nice coworkers

Cons

Your ass will become enormous because you are literally chained to your desk

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like idiots