Material Control, Receiving Checker, Receiving Coordinator

Former Employee - Material Control in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Material Control in Atlanta, GA

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and good work - life balance.

Cons

No chance of advancement. Over educated unknowledgable management staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Look inside for promotions and quit hiring spoiled brats to supervise and manage.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I thought it was gonna be great

Current Employee - No Title I Move Between Departments Too Much in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - No Title I Move Between Departments Too Much in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at McMaster-Carr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

awesome pay, awesome benefits... thats it

Cons

I started striaght out of college... but I was told by the recruiter that I would not be a good fit for the management training program, so I accepted a hourly level job... come to find out I wasn't a good fit because I didn't attend a ivy league type school... even though the degree I went to school for was a perfect fit the atmosphere of McM... since being employed there I have moved between 5 departments in 2 years and depending on the manager/supervisor you'll either be "meeting expectations" or about to be fired you have no opinion on any topic reguardless how many times they ask for your input, many times I have brought up ideas to see them used a month later as some new supervisors ideas vacation is impossible to get unless you have an in with the management... and no more than 3 personal days a year... don't get sick or have children that get sick this place is awesome if you can punch the clock and be a robot if you are opinionated you wont last long, either you will rub one of the HR train people the wrong way or you'll upset the management... for as diverse the employees are I've never seen a place so uptight and PC

Advice to Management

stop hiring ivy school grads who have no idea what they are doing and have NO social skills to talk to real people that they "manage" (I mean an economics grad managing the loading docks... seriously)

2. Ok place to work after college graduation

Former Employee - Supervisor in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at McMaster-Carr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McM gives you the opportunity to manage people early in your career, which will be an asset in almost any career you choose later. Recruits a lot of very smart college (and grad school) grads and is recognized as a place where talented people have worked within the business industry.

Cons

You have to be willing to focus on the nitty gritty details because McM is already really good at what they do.