McREL

www.mcrel.org
  www.mcrel.org
There are newer employer reviews for McREL

Thoughts from Former Employee.

I worked at McREL full-time

Pros

Very talented people, committed CEO, caring colleagues, strong focus on mission, meaningful work

Cons

Management structure that offers more opportunity to a few particular men. Other senior staff are given less authority. Staff are assigned to conduct or pursue new work and often don't bring the right experience to do the work. The HR management style is dated and do not use modern tools for recruiting and don't have interest in improving hiring efficiency. There were also a few long time employees that were drags on the organizational climate that should have been dismissed and probably still haven't when I worked there.

Think about why people leave. Some of them might be good information. For most of us, people liked the organization and the people who worked there. I just didn't see a place to grow.

17 Other Employee Reviews for McREL (View Most Recent)

Professionally fulfilling and personally enjoyable

I worked at McREL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership at McREL have a vision for moving the company forward to both grow the company and improve practice in the field. Although a non-profit, leadership and staff at McREL pay attention to both achieving mission and running a sound business. Tough decisions are made and attention is paid to execution. Staff are the best in the education business. Leadership have experience and commitment to the organization and the field. Compensation and benefits are outstanding. McREL is an exciting place to work where effort and expertise truly make a difference inside and outside the organization.

Cons

The balance of business with mission is sometimes uneasy and it can be difficult to get everyone on the same page with decisions affecting one or the other.

McREL is on the right track. The right decisions are being made and the talent at McREL is unbelievable. McREL is small enough to make clear, transparent communication doable and critical.

McREL Response

May 6, 2014Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for this feedback! McREL International strives to be an innovative, exciting workplace with strong collegial relationships and a mission to make a difference in the lives of ... More

Great in Education, Not Great at Business

I worked at McREL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think McREL's greatest value is the staff. I've never worked with a warmer and friendlier bunch. McREL also attracts some of the brightest minds in education and I believe their products and services are top notch.

The salary is competitive and the benefits are unmatched, particularly the retirement plan. The space is beautiful and newly updated and every employee gets their own office, no cubes.

As a non profit, they care more about improving education than improving the bottom line.

Cons

Well...as a non profit they care more about education than the bottom line. McREL's achille's heel has been project cost overruns, bloated overheads, and a top heavy organizational structure. These three things undermine the financial stability of the company. I don't believe any of these things are due to lack of effort or malicious intent, I just think that since the majority of the company are educators there is a palpable dearth of business acumen. It truly is a double edged sword. If it were not for the financial instability McREL would get a 5 star review from me as I really enjoyed working there.

I was in office, so work life balance was fine for me, though admittedly a good portion of the staff are "road warriors" that travel very frequently, as with any consultancy company.

Lock down overhead costs and grow horizontally, not vertically.

McREL Response

May 6, 2014Chief Human Resources Officer

We’re happy that we have maintained a reputation for being a workplace of strong collegial relationships and excellent benefits.

Your comments about overhead costs are well-received, and this is
    ... More