McWilliams Forge

www.mcwilliamsforge.com
There are newer employer reviews for McWilliams Forge

"These are the good old days" -Sandy McWilliams, 2006

I worked at McWilliams Forge

Pros

Extremely loyal employees working their tails off because they're honestly proud of what they do and the fact that at the end of the day, people fly through the air thanks in part to the efforts of the men and women of McWilliams Forge. PCC has many tools to "help" you meet your goals, but there is little support besides the kind you get from your drill-sergeant.

Cons

Since I was laid off with about a third of the staff in 2009, a few cons come to mind. Our general manager was generally disliked by the majority of employees, but he's gone now, so no point in harping on him. It's a small company, so individuals make a big difference, and there are a few that will regularly make your life very difficult. Office politics are rampant. PCC's quarterly bonuses are nice, but probably not worth the years of your life you'll trade with the pressure to meet "the numbers". The sense of family from the days when McWilliams Forge was a family company is regrettably gone.

There is no leadership at McWilliams Forge.

3 Other Employee Reviews for McWilliams Forge (View Most Recent)

Bad year for the forge

I worked at McWilliams Forge

Pros

Colleagues are all good people, extremely hardworking and intelligent. Since the company is small, each individual can make a great contribution and has the ability to affect decisions at a high level. Access to senior management is very good.

Cons

Commercial aviation industry has devastated the forge this year. Lack of sales has caused downsizing of at least 40%. Rumors abound regarding further cutbacks in the future, although management insists no more will be made. Morale is horrible, and infighting is rampant.

Stand by your word. You don't need to hold your cards so close to the vest. Support your employees and offer hope for a light at the end of the tunnel. Give valuable talent a reason to stick it out through what everyone knows will be a terrible year.

Managers have ZERO training and education

Current Employee - Heat Treat in Rockaway, NJ
    Current Employee - Heat Treat in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at McWilliams Forge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is the last Foundry in New Jersey and we have pride in actually Manufacturing something of significant value in today's competitive market..The workers in production work 12 hr's a day 5 - 6 day's a week and get plenty of overtime. When we meet or exceed production goals we get a quarterly bonus . Mcwilliams Forge has been in service since 1880 and has been able to adjust and adapt to a constantly changing market .

Cons

The managers are more like prison guards and just "cover their B-hind's " when a mistake or problem happens. The employee's that have been here the longest know how to protect their job the best and make life difficult for any new people. It is very difficult to get decent workers because the place is almost 140 years old and needs a serious makeover . The rot and decay in these buildings is Horrifying and you could film a very scary movie anywhere here.

The Managers need real effective training and Supervisors must be held accountable. Managers need to learn how to overcome simple challenges like : Rewarding performance rather than Tenure or Estimating the Resources and time needed for a successful plan and Assuming unforeseen Outcomes ." We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them ".

There are newer employer reviews for McWilliams Forge