Mckenna Ryan Designs

www.pineneedles.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs

Great job...if you don't mind getting yelled at all the time.

Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some beautiful work comes out of this company. If you are a fan of the fiber arts, then this is a haven for you. The work space is amazing too. The loft setting is in one of the best areas in Portland to work. The people in the building were amazing. I got to know many people from other businesses.

And, as always, it is really nice to talk to fans of the artwork across the globe. You can hear their excitement when a new product comes out.

Random pizza parties were pretty cool on the occasion.

Cons

There is a lot of yelling that goes on in that place. With wall to wall cement surrounding you, the sound carries and echos in your ears until you get home.

In art fields, people get frustrated a lot. Sometimes, people find it necessary to take that frustration and aggression out on those who are the easiest targets who are undeserving, via yelling. Unfortunately, it happens to the best of us.

Overtime pay is not actually paid by the company. You will be asked to work "without pay" or volunteer your time when you are over 40 hours per week, which is a lot of the time.

There is a lot of hand holding with operations. With this being a newly relocated company, with little to no resources to learn from, it was a lot of baby steps to get the company back on it's feet in the new home.

Calm down. There is no need to yell. Take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs (View Most Recent)

My dream job, working with extremely talented and dedicated artists doing what I love - quilting!

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs

Pros

Knowing my opinion is valued, being part of a creative team, travel, being challenged to expand my creative instincts, working with a high profile artist and allowed to use my own judgment in making creative decisions. I've worked with McKenna for over 8 years and have never seen her lose her temper and take it out on an employee like the ex-employees claim. They need to take responsibility for their own lack of work ethics.

Cons

The only con I have is I wish I lived closer to the home office in Portland but being able to work remotely has been a key factor in my personal success.

Check resumes and references prior to hiring very carefully. It has been proven that the two previous emplyees that gave negative reviews obviously misrepresented themselves as to what they were capable of doing. We've always had an open door policy and their abuse of being trusted to get the jobs done without being micro managed proved they didn't know what they were doing and didn't ask for help. I personally witnessed these peoples disregard for procedures and the fact that they showed up late for training and hungover should have gotten them fired on the spot!

What a miserable place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like getting free lunches sometimes. That is when the place actually feels normal for a change.

The free scrap material is fun when its up for grabs.

I get to see the creative process from birth to mass production.

Cons

Boss is unprofessional She likes to yell. A lot.

For the amount of work you do, you don't get a lot of pay for it. You are told to do things that are completely above your pay grade and are not properly trained or seasoned in.

Every time you make the smallest mistake, you are chastised in front of everyone.

There are so many people who work remotely and lack proper communication skills. There is a lot of grandiose conversations thrown back and forth, but no productive work gets done on a consistent level. When the deadline gets closer, all of a sudden everyone who works off site is suddenly the star of the show when they have been otherwise silent.

People like to take credit for work that is done by you. Some of the design work was done by me, but I'll never get credit for it.

Did I mention that the boss likes to yell a lot?

Treat us nicely. You will have happy employees if the main focus is concentrated on the art, not people's personal business.

There are newer employer reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs