Mckenna Ryan Designs

www.pineneedles.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs

TOOT TOOT HELLO ATTENTION WORLD THIS IS THE BEST JOB IN ALL THE LAND

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time

Pros

Let me list them

-Working side-by-side with an inspiring creative director
-Working with supportive, motivated and positive colleagues
-Working in a beautiful, light-filled lofted space in Portland, OR
-Room for professional growth in the company as it expands
-"Team" attitude--input on decisions no matter how small or large, is encouraged and valued
-Weekly lunch meetings to stay connected with what everybody is doing
-The occasional champagne celebration
-Seeing Maddie the dog every day

Cons

I mean sometimes I get stuck behind a train on my way to or from work....There aren't really cons to working here.

3 Other Employee Reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs (View Most Recent)

Whew. What a rollercoaster. I would have picked a different ride.

Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Fulfillment in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great view, nice art, and being able to have some friends up on the loft for lunch and occasional help was great. The interview consists of a champagne toast, which was kind of special. I was able to travel a bit, though it was stressful. I loved taking pictures with great views.

Cons

...about that champagne toast...you assume it will all be beautiful like that moment, but then all of a sudden, a simple moment of stress will escalate into WWIII, and you don't know if you should dodge bullets, or put yourself on the front line and fight back. I'm a fighter, and I didn't take that crap. I did see a few office items thrown around by the boss toward another though. And then, as that person runs out of the office in tears, everything turns calm for a moment. But hold on, cause its not over...you are just a misstep away from another roller coaster ride of emotional warfare. Every. Single. Day. After the initial excitement of the "new job" is over, you are taken on a ride 4 of 5 days a week. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out of there and go back to a more healthy environment.

You are going to get into a lot of trouble if you keep throwing things at your employees. Had you thrown something at me, there would have been problems. Enough with the rollercoaster, the yelling, the swearing, and the hiring pretense with the champagne. You create too high of expectations and a false sense of prestige in doing so. Lead your employees instead of terrorize them.

Great job...if you don't mind getting yelled at all the time.

Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some beautiful work comes out of this company. If you are a fan of the fiber arts, then this is a haven for you. The work space is amazing too. The loft setting is in one of the best areas in Portland to work. The people in the building were amazing. I got to know many people from other businesses.

And, as always, it is really nice to talk to fans of the artwork across the globe. You can hear their excitement when a new product comes out.

Random pizza parties were pretty cool on the occasion.

Cons

There is a lot of yelling that goes on in that place. With wall to wall cement surrounding you, the sound carries and echos in your ears until you get home.

In art fields, people get frustrated a lot. Sometimes, people find it necessary to take that frustration and aggression out on those who are the easiest targets who are undeserving, via yelling. Unfortunately, it happens to the best of us.

Overtime pay is not actually paid by the company. You will be asked to work "without pay" or volunteer your time when you are over 40 hours per week, which is a lot of the time.

There is a lot of hand holding with operations. With this being a newly relocated company, with little to no resources to learn from, it was a lot of baby steps to get the company back on it's feet in the new home.

Calm down. There is no need to yell. Take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture.

There are newer employer reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs