There are newer employer reviews for MedAssets

Rev cycle in constant state of chaos with average to poor leadership

I have been working at MedAssets

Pros

The plano office is top notch. It has every convenience youll ever want. The organization shows uncanny patriotism. Benefits are average.

Cons

As soon as you decipher what leadership expects of you, everything seems to change 180 degrees. No clear vision or strategic investment in building long term success. Leadership manages margin but neglects to manage people or career development. You can forget about that unless you are willing to constantly tell leaders what they want to hear. Time will tell if we'll ever get strong senior leadership.

They know they're part of the problem. Swallow your pride before the company's fall.

223 Other Employee Reviews for MedAssets (View Most Recent)

Potential Employees – Read and Heed Warnings!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time

Pros

- They are in the Healthcare space

Cons

I’m writing this negative review for one reason only. I wish someone had been this honest with me before I accepted employment at MedAssets.

But don’t just take my word for it, read through some of these 130+ employee reviews. A full one-third of them are the lowest rating possible (Very Dissatisfied). And don’t be fooled, the problems are still there today, nothing has changed.

For years, employee satisfaction has been embarrassingly low, even though it is monitored and studied annually via employee surveys. Obviously, execs pay lip service to addressing the issues, but in the end only insulting improvements like pizza or cake materializes.

Turnover continues to be extremely high, which is sure evidence of just how bad this company is to work for.

Summarizing the most common themes in these reviews:
    - It’s an extremely political and avidly cut-throat environment, high in favortism and job protection at all costs
    - Obvious maneuvering by long-standing VPs, SVPs results in the ‘best of class’ Directors and Managers leaving. These execs are given enormous power with very little oversight, so it enables them to focus on their own empire building and protecting their position. HR is aware, but nothing is done.
    - People running the Software Development Organization (and least the GPO side) don’t have the necessary background to do so – they are financial people (not technical) and it winds up being quite painful for those in software development
    - No career advancement, no training, ridiculously high medical deductibles, PTO that you cannot roll over to the next year, mediocre benefits
    - Large cube farm (read two 4-foot walls per person) for everyone but VPs and above, so noisy and distracting environment in which to work. The people in the offices tout that the cubes are “good for collaboration”. Yes, a manager or director with a large staff will sit in the same cube.
    - Continued focus on trying to offshore more and more work

I left the company for many of the above reasons. I reported to a VP who has an impressive history of driving out very competent people. Let me be frank. The executive leadership over the [SCM/Spend] Software Quality Assurance group is so fractured and toxic that they have churned through 6 QA Managers/Directors in the course of 3 years.

Even beyond the issues with Software Development and QA, the company as a whole has poor leadership at the highest levels. Most other companies run like this would have not lasted this many years. But GPO can be lucrative and it’s afforded them more time to be sunk by poor vision and leadership. I’ll be surprised if this company is still around in 4 years.

Like I said, read and heed.

My advice is not to senior management, as they are the problem. My advice is to the Board of Directors. You are a publicly traded company - protect your shareholders - look into these issues. Demand external audits of all major departments - Technology, HR, Accounting and work with those 3rd party firms to ensure things aren't just covered up. Educate yourselves on what is really happening within your company and then clean house...from the top.

Almost 10 key Product Managers have left our company in the past 12-15 months - that should tell you a lot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We definitely like to have fun probably at the expense of properly running a business. A lot of positive community involvement. The benefits are good. Office space is excellent. If youre looking at a sales role, theyre still getting fat and happy i believe, so that might be a good career move.

Cons

Many product managers have left the company recently for a reason - very absent and ineffective senior leadership; years of poor and/or no strategic planning; lack of vision and capital investment. We are falling way behind the market and playing catch up. It feels like a fast spiral for those in operations or product. I'm truly amazed that our CEO and former COO are still here as all of this was set in motion under their leadership, or lack thereof. Their credibility is shot with many who i work with because we are exasperated of all the empty rhetoric and unfulfilled commitments. As long as there is no accountability, i dont see things changing.

I'll pass