There are newer employer reviews for MedAssets

A decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Proposal Management, RFP Manager in El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Proposal Management, RFP Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MedAssets offer flexible work schedules.

Cons

MedAssets offers no real room for growth.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the company.

Other Employee Reviews for MedAssets

A terrible, dishonest workplace run by self-interested, morally reprehensible people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at MedAssets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am struggling to think of anything that is a true, unequivocal pro of working at MedAssets. I feel a moral obligation to advise any interested parties that no pro of working at MedAssets renders a job offer from this company worth accepting. Seriously. But, since you asked: The PTO was somewhat generous, though not bankable, and there was tremendous pressure from upper-management not to use it. There is an annual company picnic, to which your family is not invited, and you get to miss one day of work without taking a PTO day to attend. Of course, if for whatever reason you are not able to attend the picnic, like because you'd rather throw yourself down a set of stairs than attend a social event with your MedAssets coworkers, you have to take a PTO day. There is an annual Christmas party. It's gaudy and kind of depressing, but the drinks are free. The company seems to be under the impression that they can atone for their general inability to create a positive work environment by providing free food. The idea is insulting in and of itself, but if you don't think too hard about it I suppose free cake is nice. I worked in the Saddle River, NJ office, where Hurricane Sandy did quite a bit of damage. Gas was difficult to access in the aftermath, and in a truly generous attempt to help his NJ employees, the company's Plano-based CEO arranged for a gas tank to come to the Saddle River office and provide free gas for the employees.

Cons

The compensation and benefits at this company are absurd. MedAssets has clearly made the choice to under-compensate all but their most senior employees and deal with the resulting turnover rather than truly invest in their workers by keeping pace with industry/regional trends. The health benefits are bad, which I suppose is not unusual, but as a healthcare company MedAssets should be embarrassed. I suppose that if they were to stop cutting corners in terms of salary and benefits, they might be forced to confront their professional ineptitude. Which brings me to my next con... MedAssets, at least the division I worked for, is run by people who don't have a true understanding of the healthcare industry, or even of their own product. They're blinded by their personal ambitions and politics, and for that reason and so many others, MedAssets is a volatile and unstable work environment with unhappy clients who are always terminating. The company simply doesn't deliver on its promises to customers, and, unlike their employees who are bound by their need for employment, their customers can take their business elsewhere. Honesty, hard work, and trust in upper-management will not get you far here. I found myself continually amazed by the brazen, overt, unabashed self-interest of senior-level employees at this company. If you like playing games, this is the place for you. If you expect to prosper by hard work and commitment, prepare for never-ending frustration. The company has a stuffy, antiquated attitude about their work environment, and is laughably out of touch with current workplace trends. Dress-down Fridays, inflexible schedules, and the mass 5 PM exodus are the norm here. It's all so unenlightened, and if MedAssets plans to be competitive in attracting younger talent, they'll have to reevaluate the whole mid-80s, business-casual schtick. Working at this company is one, long, sociological case-study in what becomes of those who failed to achieve social acceptance in high school. Cliques upon cliques upon cliques, all of which are orchestrated, maintained, and habitually reinforced by upper management. If you are not among the chosen ones, you can expect to be marginalized. And even if you are, falls from grace are comically frequent. Prepare to be constantly working against the self-imposed limitations of your own company. No one was provided with the resources they needed to do their jobs well - the division I worked for didn't even have an onsight IT department. Let me repeat that for you - this was an office of about four hundred that did. not. have. an. onsight. IT department. Not that we would have benefited much from their presence, since the company was completely unwilling to purchase upgraded or improved technology for their employees, even if their work performance was suffering due to old or outdated technology. Most employees were forced to keep slow, malfunctioning computers until they were literally unusable (in fact, a work-performance rewards program implemented shortly before I left offered an upgrade of your work computer as one of the highest achievable rewards. Am I taking crazy pills?). Here is my bottom line with this review - life is too short to work at MedAssets. Not everyone is the type to live to work, but I assure you, there are better places to watch the clock than here. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to say to upper management. I would encourage MedAssets' board and executive management to do an honest reevaluation of the priorities and abilities of their upper management.

Potential Employees – Read and Heed Warnings!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at MedAssets full-time

Pros

- They are in the Healthcare space

Cons

I’m writing this negative review for one reason only. I wish someone had been this honest with me before I accepted employment at MedAssets. But don’t just take my word for it, read through some of these 130+ employee reviews. A full one-third of them are the lowest rating possible (Very Dissatisfied). And don’t be fooled, the problems are still there today, nothing has changed. For years, employee satisfaction has been embarrassingly low, even though it is monitored and studied annually via employee surveys. Obviously, execs pay lip service to addressing the issues, but in the end only insulting improvements like pizza or cake materializes. Turnover continues to be extremely high, which is sure evidence of just how bad this company is to work for. Summarizing the most common themes in these reviews: - It’s an extremely political and avidly cut-throat environment, high in favortism and job protection at all costs - Obvious maneuvering by long-standing VPs, SVPs results in the ‘best of class’ Directors and Managers leaving. These execs are given enormous power with very little oversight, so it enables them to focus on their own empire building and protecting their position. HR is aware, but nothing is done. - People running the Software Development Organization (and least the GPO side) don’t have the necessary background to do so – they are financial people (not technical) and it winds up being quite painful for those in software development - No career advancement, no training, ridiculously high medical deductibles, PTO that you cannot roll over to the next year, mediocre benefits - Large cube farm (read two 4-foot walls per person) for everyone but VPs and above, so noisy and distracting environment in which to work. The people in the offices tout that the cubes are “good for collaboration”. Yes, a manager or director with a large staff will sit in the same cube. - Continued focus on trying to offshore more and more work I left the company for many of the above reasons. I reported to a VP who has an impressive history of driving out very competent people. Let me be frank. The executive leadership over the [SCM/Spend] Software Quality Assurance group is so fractured and toxic that they have churned through 6 QA Managers/Directors in the course of 3 years. Even beyond the issues with Software Development and QA, the company as a whole has poor leadership at the highest levels. Most other companies run like this would have not lasted this many years. But GPO can be lucrative and it’s afforded them more time to be sunk by poor vision and leadership. I’ll be surprised if this company is still around in 4 years. Like I said, read and heed.

Advice to Management

My advice is not to senior management, as they are the problem. My advice is to the Board of Directors. You are a publicly traded company - protect your shareholders - look into these issues. Demand external audits of all major departments - Technology, HR, Accounting and work with those 3rd party firms to ensure things aren't just covered up. Educate yourselves on what is really happening within your company and then clean house...from the top.