MedAssets

There are newer employer reviews for MedAssets

Management NEEDS help

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing Plano office, great company to work for. Work/Life balance could not be better.

Cons

No consistency between departments - heavy politics in some. VERY top heavy, 3 - 4 layers of management between engineers and decision makers.

Middle management needs to understand current (within the last 25 years) trends of software development shops and not employ micro-managing style. It's understandable that this company was built off of acquisition, but there needs to be synergy amongst the teams. You need to trust your engineers and business analysts to do their jobs, and to hire the ones that you can trust.

247 Other Employee Reviews for MedAssets (View Most Recent)

This place is good for so few employees, mostly execs with no scruples

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's employment, that's about it.

Cons

I won't repeat what everyone else is saying (it's pretty consistent, just read through the reviews).

I've been here less than five years and I'm in middle management. It is definitely cut-throat and I will continue to look for employment elsewhere and be glad to leave.

This place is run by a lot of leaders (VP and above) with their own interests as top priority - the company and the employees are the ones suffering under such leadership.

To give you an idea of the ethics - we, in management, are encouraged to try to offset these prolific negative glassdoor.com reviews with positive ones. I can see that many of my colleagues are doing that. Basically the ones which say things like "it's been bumpy but we are on the right track now" and "no company is perfect" and "love it". Nobody loves it here...nobody - so that is definitely a review written to help offset all the negativity about MedAssets on this site. Like many of the unscrupulous things were are asked to do in management, I won't have any part of that either. But I will shine a light on it.

You've gotten so used to the manipulating you do to boost your own power and position that you probably don't even recognize it as manipulation any more. But rest assured, Directors and everyone below certainly see it and have no real respect for any of you.

Stop with the lip service of what all you are doing to make it a better workplace, it's laughable by employees. Instead, read the reviews on this site (and the engagement surveys). You will see that underneath the protection mechanisms employees have perfected when dealing with you, you are clearly disrespected. You create a horrible work environment for employees and consistently make bad decisions for the company. Finally, a downright honest review.

Love it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- A fast-paced, growing company with a fantastic future in the healthcare industry; we are uniquely positioned among our competitors to address the changing healthcare market
    - Laced with employees who genuinely care about the company and our clients and the ultimate impact of how what we does impacts patient care
    - Multiple divisions within the company, so opportunities for career growth
    - Extremely charitable - company supports an orphanage in Africa, partners with other companies to send medical equipment to third-world countries, is very involved in helping veterans find employment through HireHeroes USA, allows employees up to 40 hours each year to volunteer (completely separate from any other paid time off programs)
    - Leaders are working hard to increase employee engagement
    - This is a FUN company to work at. We have many cultural activities like field days, a fall festival, charity day, Pi Day, chili cook-offs, etc., to make it a fun work community
    - Work/life balance is great. Managers are flexible and I genuinely feel that I'm paid for results, not the time I put in. If I want to leave early on a Thursday for a happy hour or on a Friday for a long weekend, no problem; my manager knows my work will get done.

Cons

- The medical benefits are not great. Company last year went to consumer-driven health plans (CDHP) like so many companies across the country are. This is a huge change for employees and requires that they become more active in planning and making decisions on their health care. Premiums are low but deductibles are high and people don't understand the trade-off.
    - There are still silos to break down between the divisions.
    - Company is coming off a two-year integration program after acquiring the Broadlane Group. Has it been bumpy? Yes! But it's also been exciting to watch these two former competitors come together as one company. Is it perfect? No, and it likely never will be (what company is?). But the leadership is trying hard under the vision of our CEO, John Bardis. I actually see this as a "pro" but they were outweighing the cons so I listed it here as many people would have a hard time dealing with the length of this process... but you have to be in it for the long haul.

Keep listening to employees. Keep communicating your vision. Recognize employees. Maintain work/life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for MedAssets