Media General

www.mediageneral.com

Man Overboard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe job was interesting, varied and informative. My colleagues were the company's best asset. Everyone works hard to meet the common goal of a meaningful daily newspaper.

ConsSadly, no one is buying newspapers anymore so there is a sense of futility in the newsroom. Waves of layoffs have sunk morale to a level of hopelessness. Management lays off productive, dedicated, long term employees like they were old news. Management doesn't have a clue how to save the newspsper so they lay off workers to boost the bottom line rather than cut the high paid decision-makers. As a result the newspaper suffers because there aren't enough people to produce meaningful content. Management is cold and clueless.

Advice to Senior ManagementReassess your approach to keeping the newspaper a viable product. Rehire some of the seasoned journalists you've laid off and reduce the number of highly paid upper management.

Shambles!

Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros: There are a few good mid-level managers left, who somehow survived the lay-offs, and these… Cons: Massive waves of lay-offs have contributed to a cynical, dog-eat-dog culture. The pay is terrible and… Advice to Senior Management: Concentrate on creating more niche market and hyper-local publications, online or print. Also, a restructuring of the entire classified advertising section is needed. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

My experience was very good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

I worked at Media General

Pros: Colleagues are wonderful, interesting people. Working in same building with TV station WFLA and website TBO.com… Cons: Atmosphere a little depressing due to state of newspapers, shrinkage… Advice to Senior Management: Management is probably doing everything it can in a difficult situation. It… More
There are newer reviews on Media General.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!