There are newer employer reviews for Media General

Worst place I ever worked, bar none!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, GA
Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, GA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable and helpful co-workers who cared about the product. The product was a great one to sell. The compensation was very reasonable.

Cons

Managers are inept as it gets. Good ole boy system alive and well in their linen suits. Upper management is absolutely clueless. Middle management is just trying to hang onto their jobs. While I was there, middle managers were partying with reps and handing accounts out to the girls they partied with. Upper management was receiving reports of Peyton Place and they would shoot the messenger. The place was so bad they bought a traffic system that was virtually unusable. No body bothered to check it out before this huge corporate purchase? Thousands upon Thousands of dollars lost in advertiser dollars because they could not figure the system out. Departments were not allowed to talk to other departments unless they went through Department heads. If this company makes it through the decade, color me surprised.

Advice to Management

Already given and rejected. They prefer to ride this wagon till the wheels fall off.

Other Employee Reviews for Media General

Don't go down with a sinking ship

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Product at one time was great. Nice people to work with. could have been a lifelong career.

Cons

Management has no clue about changing times, the paper is not what it use to be.. They sit there and say we are the trib and advertisers need us. This company for years has been reactives as opposed to proactive. Through mismanagement from the top all the way down to the local sales managers has given the St. Pete Times the opportunity to take over the Tampa Bay market.

Advice to Management

Look for new jobs because It's too late. This company will be shut down and the building and land will be sold. You handed over the market to the Times, hope you enjoye!

2. Brief but fun!

Former Contractor - Web Developer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Web Developer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Media General as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked briefly at a Media General station that was piloting hyperlocal social media. At the time, it was a very exciting and dynamic environment. There were a lot of talented and bright people that were very dedicated to this innovative project.

Cons

Media General corporate seemed very disconnected from individual properties (stations/papers) and thus seemed out of touch with what was and wasn't working with each one. Very strict IT policies on what can be installed makes it difficult to set up an effective web development enviroment.