Media General

www.mediageneral.com
  www.mediageneral.com
There are newer employer reviews for Media General

District Supervisor, salaried position, work 50 plus hours per week with no additional pay. Work all
hours of the nigh

Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros

Nice office space, good location.

Cons

Day and evening hours with no extra pay for all hours worked and low salary, mimimum wage after working 50 plus hours on salary.

Raise salaries

60 Other Employee Reviews for Media General (View Most Recent)

Blind leading the blind

I worked at Media General

Pros

Initially seemed like they were committed to multimedia journalism; decent benefits package; excellent environment to learn about how to work on other platforms

Cons

It's corporate journalism to its very core, which ultimately means it's a bean counter-driven operation. Any talk of "multimedia" inevitably came down to a way to downsize the operation, forcing multiple jobs on one person, which led to an inferior product. Poor judgment from upper management in evaluating good journalism. Upper management tried its best to marginalize innovative, contrarian ideas that did not match up with theirs, as well as the voices of young people (ie, the people they are trying to reach the most), which is frustrating to see as the young public continues to laugh at their product and their subsequent and transparent attempts to be "hip."

Listen to your employees at the worker level. Respect their input and don't put all stock in the ideas of a senior editor who hasn't left the office in 20 years.

A dinosaur trying to say all the right things. Respect for employees? None. Honesty? Don't bet on it.

Former Employee - Artist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Artist in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros

I enjoyed my work immensely when not impeded by supervisors whose primary function was to "write people up," as told to me by one disillusioned young supervisor. Benefits are decent. It would be nice if domestic partners were recognized for health plan purposes, but don't ever expect to see that in this conservative environment. It's a place to work for a couple years and gain experience. After that, you are yesterday's bird droppings, unless, sadly, you know or cuddle up to the right people.

Cons

Secrecy, shifting and fuzzy management whims, adversarial relationship with employees, a history of half-truths or untruths fed to employees (in a COMMUNICATIONS company). No interest in employees' feedback. It became where one's focus had to be on following the rules of the moment rather than on the actual work. Toadies, sycophants and 'tattletales' thrived--- the best people always left. Personally overheard from one manager to another: Q. How are you? A. Trying to cover my a$$ just like you." I always wanted to improve my performance, do my best work, and had great reviews-- despite the constant impediments of management. If you can accept this company culture, you'll probably do fine.

Management has never been interested in the advice or feedback of employees in my 10+ years there. Management. At LEAST don't be a stumbling block to your employees' trying to do good work. Be truthful without an eye toward manipulation, please. And, being told at a group meeting that "We can replace ALL of you TOMORROW" is not a good incentive. This was actually spoken at one meeting I attended--this wouldn't be verbalized now, I'm sure, but would be otherwise implied. No doubts. And again, this is the company culture, not the result of current economic woes.

There are newer employer reviews for Media General