Media General

Blind leading the blind

Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros

If you get in the right department low level "old timers" will try and take you under their wing and train you.

Cons

Worked 80+ hour weeks for the pay of 40 hour weeks.
Had to take a furlough pay reduction but still had to work on the days I was supposed to be off for it.
Was told by the state circulation manager that I was not working hard or long enough even though I worked 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week to keep my district from collapsing.
Anyone above the district manager level including state manager, metro manager, and vp of circulation does not know what it is really like in the field and will chew you out when they don't understand common situations.
When I started I was promised training that was supposed to happen weekly, which ended up never happening after the second week.
People are commonly laid off and their positions eliminated even when that person is needed to support others.

Be more selective about the postions that are eliminated.
Have senior management experience at least the lower level management positions before being hired from other areas where things are run differently.
Stop chasing the experienced guys out especially those that are forced to retire.

59 Other Employee Reviews for Media General (View Most Recent)

District Supervisor, salaried position, work 50 plus hours per week with no additional pay. Work all
    hours of the nigh

Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros

Nice office space, good location.

Cons

Day and evening hours with no extra pay for all hours worked and low salary, mimimum wage after working 50 plus hours on salary.

Raise salaries

Blind leading the blind

I worked at Media General

Pros

Initially seemed like they were committed to multimedia journalism; decent benefits package; excellent environment to learn about how to work on other platforms

Cons

It's corporate journalism to its very core, which ultimately means it's a bean counter-driven operation. Any talk of "multimedia" inevitably came down to a way to downsize the operation, forcing multiple jobs on one person, which led to an inferior product. Poor judgment from upper management in evaluating good journalism. Upper management tried its best to marginalize innovative, contrarian ideas that did not match up with theirs, as well as the voices of young people (ie, the people they are trying to reach the most), which is frustrating to see as the young public continues to laugh at their product and their subsequent and transparent attempts to be "hip."

Listen to your employees at the worker level. Respect their input and don't put all stock in the ideas of a senior editor who hasn't left the office in 20 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Media General