There are newer employer reviews for Media General

Only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA
Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Middle-management is supportive and helpful, benefits are good for entry-level work. Facility is clean and well-cared for, town where I work (Lynchburg, Va.) is safe. Newspaper editors have a good grasp of what is relevant to their communities, and care deeply about good work being done.

Cons

There is a sense that the higher-ups are scrambling to deal with the economy's effect on the biz. Plans for progress seem to be shifting. Makes you worry they'll decide next year that your job, what ever it may be, is too expensive, and chop it abruptly. Also, there is so much turnover! People who know what they're doing are leaving or being fired in droves.

Advice to Management

Tell us how you plan to pay for our jobs, in specifics. Too many meetings/memos are full of generalities, like "We will incorporate Twitter into our newsgathering" or "Online sales are the future" without any hard numbers.

reviews filtered by

They will cut you off at he knees.

Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

If you are just starting out in your career, you should work here because you will get some decent experience.

Cons

Senior management decided to put all the sales people on straight commission. This would not be such a big deal except for the fact that the sales department is so disorganized. They hire whole departments and then decided to get rid of everyone in 6 months. There is no training and the managers are always changing their mind about what to focus on. Almost everyone in sales is looking for a job some place else.

Advice to Management

Sales people pay your salary start treating us with a little respect and dignity.

2. Blind leading the blind

Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros

If you get in the right department low level "old timers" will try and take you under their wing and train you.

Cons

Worked 80+ hour weeks for the pay of 40 hour weeks.
    Had to take a furlough pay reduction but still had to work on the days I was supposed to be off for it.
    Was told by the state circulation manager that I was not working hard or long enough even though I worked 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week to keep my district from collapsing.
    Anyone above the district manager level including state manager, metro manager, and vp of circulation does not know what it is really like in the field and will chew you out when they don't understand common situations.
    When I started I was promised training that was supposed to happen weekly, which ended up never happening after the second week.
    People are commonly laid off and their positions eliminated even when that person is needed to support others.

Advice to Management

Be more selective about the postions that are eliminated.
    Have senior management experience at least the lower level management positions before being hired from other areas where things are run differently.
    Stop chasing the experienced guys out especially those that are forced to retire.