Media General

www.mediageneral.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Media General

They will cut you off at he knees.

Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

If you are just starting out in your career, you should work here because you will get some decent experience.

Cons

Senior management decided to put all the sales people on straight commission. This would not be such a big deal except for the fact that the sales department is so disorganized. They hire whole departments and then decided to get rid of everyone in 6 months. There is no training and the managers are always changing their mind about what to focus on. Almost everyone in sales is looking for a job some place else.

Sales people pay your salary start treating us with a little respect and dignity.

60 Other Employee Reviews for Media General (View Most Recent)

Blind leading the blind

Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros

If you get in the right department low level "old timers" will try and take you under their wing and train you.

Cons

Worked 80+ hour weeks for the pay of 40 hour weeks.
    Had to take a furlough pay reduction but still had to work on the days I was supposed to be off for it.
    Was told by the state circulation manager that I was not working hard or long enough even though I worked 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week to keep my district from collapsing.
    Anyone above the district manager level including state manager, metro manager, and vp of circulation does not know what it is really like in the field and will chew you out when they don't understand common situations.
    When I started I was promised training that was supposed to happen weekly, which ended up never happening after the second week.
    People are commonly laid off and their positions eliminated even when that person is needed to support others.

Be more selective about the postions that are eliminated.
    Have senior management experience at least the lower level management positions before being hired from other areas where things are run differently.
    Stop chasing the experienced guys out especially those that are forced to retire.

District Supervisor, salaried position, work 50 plus hours per week with no additional pay. Work all
    hours of the nigh

Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General

Pros

Nice office space, good location.

Cons

Day and evening hours with no extra pay for all hours worked and low salary, mimimum wage after working 50 plus hours on salary.

Raise salaries