Media General
www.mediageneral.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Challenges are Met With Opportunities

Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

ProsOpportunities as it expands business and begins making progress in the internet sector. Excellent networking opportunities and experience/growth available with the support of a professional working environment. The organization and different divisions within the company allow plenty of ways to migrate into other related careers. Certainly a great place for a variety of experiences.

ConsPublishing and newsprint is a difficult market to be in. There is opportunities for the publishing division to be innovative, but they are resistant. Publishing is definitely not dead, but new ideas seem to be. Decentralized management, giving individual papers/locations relative autonomy makes it difficult to be effective in a support or management role.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in new ideas and begin centralizing the management. Have all divisions share a vision and purpose and push this, along with initiative from the top down. We can then minimize investment in resources, share and adopt best practices across the board and spend less time working on individual obstacles and focus on growing the business.

great field

Media (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than a year

Pros: good experiance in media field Cons: nothing downside in media fieldq Advice to Senior Management: no i m not intrested Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Micromanaging and herds of middle managers impede work

I have been working at Media General part-time

Pros: Benefits are okay, not remarkable. It's a starting place: a… Cons: Lurking supervisors, weak middle managers who have had their jobs forever. Notably outdated company culture and management trends.… Advice to Senior Management: With new owners it is hoped that there will be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Media General.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Media General reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Media General CEO Marshall N. Morton. All reviews posted anonymously by Media General employees.