Media Matters for America

mediamatters.org
There are newer employer reviews for Media Matters for America

Great office, great people, great cause...

Current Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Media Matters for America

Pros

I believe in the cause that Media Matters works towards, and so do most of the people I work with. We're there because we want to be there and we're dedicated. In addition, my colleagues are young and fun, and it's a very collegial work environment. There is room to develop projects based on personal interests, and everyone gets to work together on projects.

Cons

There tends to be a lot of hiring and promotions based on personal connections and knowing people at the top. While there's a certain amount of that everywhere in DC, I feel like it's more prevalent at Media Matters and that harms morale sometimes. But I pretty much only have good things to say.

Be more engaged with people at every level of the company.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Media Matters for America (View Most Recent)

Work here straight out of college

Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at Media Matters for America full-time

Pros

-good entry level jobs for liberal arts college grads with little experience; opportunities to move up or move on
    -fun atmosphere, lots of events, mostly 20somethings with management in 30s
    -less than 10 hours every day
    -pretty office in convenient location with small gym

Cons

-work day is looking at computer or tv screen, not a good place for extremely social people, but standing desks are welcome for mobile people

-need offices in different cities or opportunities to telecommute for a few weeks

Angry, liberal nerds unite to undo the mess their org's founder contributed to decades ago.

Former Employee - Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at Media Matters for America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work with passionate, genius people who use modern technology to honor old-school journalism. If the cycle is in, they have work. Pay and benefits are generally adequate.

Cons

All staff is often overworked as you're basically fighting the ocean with a teaspoon and, as a "journalist," (or are you a non-profiter?), you're supposed to like working all the time. Sometimes they clean house. Sometimes they hire more people than they can manage. It's not clear who's managing what. if you're not a pseudo-journalist you will be shunned .

Be straight with every employee. Tell them this is likely a very temporary job.

There are newer employer reviews for Media Matters for America