Media Matters for America

www.mediamatters.org
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Media Matters for America

Great office, great people, great cause...

Current Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Media Matters for America

Pros

I believe in the cause that Media Matters works towards, and so do most of the people I work with. We're there because we want to be there and we're dedicated. In addition, my colleagues are young and fun, and it's a very collegial work environment. There is room to develop projects based on personal interests, and everyone gets to work together on projects.

Cons

There tends to be a lot of hiring and promotions based on personal connections and knowing people at the top. While there's a certain amount of that everywhere in DC, I feel like it's more prevalent at Media Matters and that harms morale sometimes. But I pretty much only have good things to say.

Advice to Management

Be more engaged with people at every level of the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Need to invest in young employees

I worked at Media Matters for America full-time

Pros

Smart, dedicated employees with incredible passion. Great place to start a career in progressive politics.

Cons

Disengagement from senior staff can be challenging at times. Lack of career development and upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Give researchers an opportunity to grow as employees and people and network outside of the organization.

2. Think long and hard before coming aboard...

I worked at Media Matters for America full-time

Pros

-Research staff are some of the brightest, coolest people you will meet.
    -Surpringly decent benefits package, especially for being a non profit.
    -Lots of little side perks due to the political nature of the work (inaugural ball tickets, conference attendance, etc.).
    -They really do make you a better writer.

Cons

-Management is largely clueless about the daily work going on in the research department, and when they do interact, direction is often vague and or nonsensical.
    -Extremely limited opportunities for advancement. Not uncommon for entry level researchers to be promoted to higher responsibility positions with no increase in salary. People often remain in same role with the same salary for years on end, regardless of their potential/work ethic.
    -Constant expectation to be plugged in. There is no such thing as work life balance.
    -Promotions are largely based on personal relationships rather than professional, which leads to underqualified people filling high positions while talent languishes in smaller capacity roles.
    -Extremely high turnover due to low morale in research staff. At one point in my tenure there, almost every single researcher was searching for employment opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

-Please, please train yourselves to become effective managers. Just because an individual is a star at researching does not mean he or she will be good in a supervisory role. There is no excuse for having a supervisor routinely bring employees to tears because of ineffective communication.
    -Provide clear communication with research staff as to the goals/values of the organization. It is your responsibility to make sure everyone is on the same page -- when someone does not know this and acts in a way counter to it due to ignorance, reprimanding them is unacceptable.
    -Make very clear to entry level researchers that their prospects within the organization are extremely limited and the job should be viewed as more of a stepping stone.