There are newer employer reviews for MediaMath

The best place I have ever worked and I've worked in many.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative freedom and respect for creativity, very smart people some industry leaders that came over from other companies, building software to explore, organize and simplify the frontier of online advertising, free snacks and drinks, fun environment with jokes and laughing (if you want), parties and activities if you want to participate in that (not mandatory), world class location, good pay, company growing 2x every year, good benefits, you are not condemned for a failure or a mistake because the company is doing so well there's margin for experimentation and exploration, working with Big Data and coming up with solutions to scale things massively, anyone can initiate a project and if you can deliver on it (however small) or demonstrate its efficacy you usually get the green light to go ahead with it. If you are creative and need a place to demonstrate it, this is it. The CEO is beyond words smart about this industry, inspirational and is really nice. The rest of the upper management is top notch too. Context: I'm a C++ programmer but I also do an equal amount of coding here with Perl, Node.js, Lua and Javascript. I use the scripting languages to quickly demonstrate proof of concept and then if necessary use C++ to code a faster version.

Cons

Sometimes a very free atmosphere is difficult for some people who want to be "managed" (not me). My part of the company, engineering, is more about spontaneous projects that fit within our domain, initiated by smart people and guided by a light touch of management. As with all companies there are pockets of imperfection. People are people and that always involves a bit of friction, especially if you are working with a motivated, self-confident, smart and ambitious crew.

Don't make any drastic changes! 2x growth per year isn't something that needs fixing.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great growth opportunities, incredible (and incredibly smart!) people

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are brilliant, exciting, fun, and incredibly driven. It's an incredibly innovative group and company. There's tremendous room for growth as long as you are a motivated, involved, and driven person. There's no room for "I don't know" which is really refreshing--everyone works hard to find an answer, or has at least attempted to find an answer before asking for help.

We also have a TON of fun together--you can't walk through the office without hearing laughter. It's a very collaborative environment, as you're always working with other departments.

Cons

There's been tremendous growth in the three years I've been here, and the culture/communication/management hasn't always kept up. It's a great culture, but the company didn't forsee having to spread that culture and ease of communication across regions and it's definitely noticeable.

Understand and think about the long-term implications of rapid growth before moving forward with an acquisition--the revenue might be a great motivator, but you have to think about the consequences, i.e. how are you keeping this larger group engaged? Is everyone informed? Is everyone treated equally regardless of location?

Challenging

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great technology but does not know how to support sales people.

Cons

Incompetent Sales leadership, especially at the VP level.

More autonomy for individual contributors.

There are newer employer reviews for MediaMath