CHANGING WITH THE TIMES - MediaNews Group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

MediaNews Group is a newspaper company, however there is also an Interactive division. Unlike other newspaper companies, Dean Singleton and management are dedicated to keeping up with the times to invest in online news too. We are also privately owned by Dean, so our decisions don't come from shareholders. Instead, Dean makes all decisions. Leaves room for flexibility!

Cons

The newspaper industry is obviously declining, but with our Interactive division, we're working towards online-where most of us check our news now-a-days.

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with employees closer.

Other Employee Reviews for MediaNews

1. It's a rough but interesting ride in the news business

Current Employee - Newspaper Columnist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Newspaper Columnist in San Jose, CA

Pros

Always something new going on

Cons

dramatic changes in the industry can be a downer and, sometimes, exciting; i rated morale at 4.0? what was I thinking? It's lower because of the uncertainties

Advice to Management

Keep the ship afloat.

The Heartbreak of the Newspaper Industry

Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

LADN has some of the most exceptional people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. They continued to try to move forward despite the adversity and challenges faced in the newspaper industry and at the LADN and it's sister papers in particular. The pride in the product, the dedication to the professions and industry, the willingness to look for new solutions despite lack of money and support - these are amazing qualities found throughout the LADN and LANG papers.

Cons

The newspaper industry is dying a long, slow, painful death. For those of us that adore the industry and the products we produce, the demise of newspapers is extremely sad. It is a reflection of the move in society as a whole to get information quickly and in condensed formats. With society moving at the "spead of sound", consumers have little to no interest in reading a hard-copy newspaper. In a world focused on "fast", and with the availability of "sound bite" news on-line, on mobile phones, through TV and radio, the audience for newspapers is shrinking to a level that can no longer sustain the business. This is felt in all areas of the newspaper and was a daily challenge to overcome and still get the work done.

Advice to Management

Either spend the money on the technology to re-work process flow, retrain your employees and provide the core product (news) to customers, or shut the doors. Do not continue to wring out the last bit of blood from your employees for the sake of a few pennies of profit. The profit margin Executive Management aspires to is long gone. And attempting to recapture it with the same, tired processes is not going to work, especially when you expect employees to take on more and more work with fewer resources, no additional time, and no increase in salary or benefits for the additional work.