MediaNews

www.medianewsgroup.com
  www.medianewsgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for MediaNews

Used to be great!

I have been working at MediaNews

Pros

Used to be great when it was Knight Ridder and up to the point we were bought by Singleton. The employees there are some of the best people I've ever worked with! Really good training program and they offer lots of classes! They are really trying to diversify into other products, so there is a lot to offer the customer. Really good team atmosphere and the Managers are definitely hands-on.

Cons

Upper management has chosen to have an adversarial relationship with the people below them, and the tone they set is negative and arrogant and is evident in every communication they have with us. A lot of pay cuts and job reduction where a lot of the staff is doing the job of what used to be 3 people. A lot of meaningless reporting and management seems to think when our revenue is low the best way to sell more ads is for us to do more reports. In most outside sales jobs management really pushes to get the reps out into the field to sell, but not here. I've never had so much reporting and paperwork that there are some days I literally can't get out into the field because I have to sit in front of my computer doing reports. Pay used to be good, but now you have to hit 95% or more of your quota or you don't make ANY commission. When you do hit your quota, the commission is still the lowest I've ever encountered. Management expects very long hours.

Upper management and some of the admin support positions should treat the reps as partners and not as lowly subordinates who they can talk down to. Re-evaluate some of the processes. Don't let the departments that support the booking and creation of the ads inhibit the ads actually getting done. Definitely pare down the required reports. Change the pay structure or you're going to lose all your good reps. The economy may be bad but there's always positions out there for the good sales reps.

21 Other Employee Reviews for MediaNews (View Most Recent)

They think highly of themselves

I worked at MediaNews full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are in a dying industry and trying some really innovative ideas to reinvent themselves. Nice people!

Cons

No 401k matching. They will be quick to advise they offer a 401k, but they don't match. Company has many silos, and very poor internal communication.

Better communication, break down the silos, get rid of the old guard, bring in some mid level to high level people from outside of the industry.

Newspaper is dying - fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at MediaNews full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few really good people. The Denver office is a very nice facility - but only until they are able to unload it.

Cons

Leadership is still trying to buck the downward spiral that is newspaper and failing. There is a policy of no performance reviews because a positive performance review might imply that a raise is due. There have been few if any raises for the last three years. They are still cutting expenses, i.e. labor costs at a tremendous rate. And, still no 401k match.

Take a cue from Gannett and Tribune. Consolidate, centralize, and standardize your operations now rather than wait for everything to fall apart on it's own. Stop trying to make a content play in the digital space when the entire industry, especially the advertisers and marketing agencies, is moving toward analytics and operational efficiency.

There are newer employer reviews for MediaNews