MedicAnimal

www.medicanimal.com
There are newer employer reviews for MedicAnimal

Fun and friendly company. Grew too fast

Current Employee - Online Marketeer in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Online Marketeer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere
Own responsibilities
Market leader
Informal
Strong management

Cons

As a marketeer you are too much dependent on IT to make changes to the website / optimize your progress.

Don't grow too fast. Get the basis right and work your way up.

21 Other Employee Reviews for MedicAnimal (View Most Recent)

Best job of my career but not for the lazy!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unparalleled career progression opportunity, high-quality team members, real sense of doing things for more than just the money, encouraged to think and take the initiative. This is a job where if a colleague isn't pulling their weight you know they won't be there long and that makes for a great team. I started at an entry level, initially disappointed by the salary but proved myself and was quickly given more responsibility and management opportunity. This has been a career-changing job for me because as the company has grown, I've had the opportunity to grow with it, much faster than I would have at a perhaps "easier" more stable and better paying companies. I feel that this job has opened career opportunities for me that I would otherwise never have had.

Cons

Compensation is not as high as I would get elsewhere but the career progression opportunity and how much I've learned has far outweighed this. Super-fast growth and aggressive objectives has meant some periods of heavy work but when I look back on these periods I feel like it's when I've grown the most professionally and felt most fulfilled.

Be more vocal about all that our company does for charities and to improve pet welfare - not enough people on the team know about these actions. Most of all, don't listen to comments about needing to make work more "fun". Work should be an opportunity to grow and push oneself, not an amusement park.

Could do much better

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in London, England (UK)

I worked at MedicAnimal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Despite the challenging environment, high workloads and other frustrations, one thing that always stood out for me was the strong team spirit and generally everyone doing their part and working for each other as well as with each other. Unfortunately the only other pro I can think of was the free pastry every Wednesday morning.

Cons

As the title suggests, you do start out at the company with a sense of pride and direction, however you soon come to understand an endemic issue in terms of managerial short sightedness and malaise which leaves you feeling frustrated and generally unappreciated.

This is particularly evident in a common practice of only papering over the cracks of problems, issues or other difficulties that have been escalated to management due to the effects they have on your ability to perform your duties. Rather than fix the problem at its source, they apply the most simplest solution they can find, which inevitably causes the problem to reemerge later on.

Similarly, whilst generally speaking the team spirit and work ethos was good, there were some individuals who clearly had no interest in doing anything. This proved to be another example of some of the managerial impotence where people blatantly avoiding working were not punished. Again whilst this was not the norm, there is more than one example of employees not only doing the bare minimum, but also acting inappropriately toward others, not only affecting the individual on the receiving end but the rest of the team as well. Despite reporting this when it was clear that individual was not going to stop, they continue to be allowed to coast and disrupt unchallenged. Obviously when you are trying to work your hardest, seeing others do nothing without reproach is disheartening.

Whilst I understand it is important to try and get as much out of your workforce as possible to make your company productive and valuable, at MedicAnimal you are expected to do far too much as one employee on the salary given. I would suggest reviewing and analyzing workflows, work demand and staffing levels across all teams with a view to optimizing your establishment across the teams. Therefore, taking the pressure of those teams often severely overworked but also getting more out of those teams with a lower work to person ratio.

Whilst again I understand it is important to promote from within, there is a question about the standard of some of the managers. Perhaps you should think about either how managers themselves are managed or introduce a more robust promotion process.

Lastly in order to increase moral and subsequently productivity it is important to engage with the workforce, listen to the workforce and then follow up on any productive comments or criticisms. It is also important to communicate when changes happen. All of this will ensure that the workforce feels like an integral part of the company. It will also mean that the issues hindering productivity will reduce.

There are newer employer reviews for MedicAnimal