There are newer employer reviews for Medical College of Wisconsin

Overall a positive experience

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to collaborate between labs and even departments, as well as between Physicians and PhDs (aside from occasional restrictions due to politics).

Cons

A significant portion of many scientists' time is spent securing and maintaining NIH funding. The smaller the lab, the longer it takes to generate enough preliminary data to write a grant and most first-submissions score too low and need to be revised - this process can take months and even years as newly appointed faculty scramble to get funded.

Lastly, and this is the reason I left academics for the private sector, I saw a brilliant Assistant Professor fail for 6 years to get funded despite an impressive publication record. My mentor brought him into our lab to give him one more chance to get funded and so I had the opportunity to do some of the molecular work for his newest grant. He is a brilliant scientist and the thought of him losing tenure just terrifies me.

81 Other Employee Reviews for Medical College of Wisconsin (View Most Recent)

Overall, very good

Current Employee - Research Technologist II in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Research Technologist II in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, great entry level experience. Can learn a variety of techniques that are valuable in the research industry.

Cons

Pay is very low, raises are no where near what other companies provide.

Stronger emphasis on raises and raise amounts

Postdoctoral experience

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High quality biomedical research. Numerous core facilities for shared resources. Opportunities for collaborations with other labs and departments exist.

Cons

Department of Medicine is too large, and as a consequence is poorly managed and lacks any sense of cohesion or camaraderie. Choose a different department if possible. With a nonexistent institutional culture, experience will depend entirely on lab chosen and department. Choose carefully. Also, taking time for growth opportunities outside of the lab (e.g. teaching, etc.) is strongly discouraged by the institution, even if done on your own time (evenings, weekends). If interested in developing non-bench skills, find a PI who encourages and values such endeavors, or be prepared to keep these activities hidden.

MCW needs to establish and nurture an institutional culture that promotes engagement of their employees rather than one that is only interested in data output.

There are newer employer reviews for Medical College of Wisconsin