www.musc.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Medical University of South Carolina

Company has a great mission, but is bogged down by state rules and bad long-term employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Medical University of South Carolina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This hospital is truly changing what's possible in health care. There are so many doctors, nurses and researchers who are here because they chose to be here--many of whom cut their teeth at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, etc. It's easy to buy in to the mission of MUSC.

Cons

As a state authority, MUHA (the hospital entity) gets to choose which state benefits it enacts and denies, depending on how it affects the bottom line. PTO, salaries, bonuses (ha), raises (ha again) and benefits are pathetic. We don't even get reimbursed for mileage when we drive to off-site work events. Also, too many leaders have been in their positions too long--and it's impossible to fire them, despite their poor performances.

Review MUHA directors. All of them, but in particular those in Institutional Relations. Round with the employees they oversee and take the feedback seriously. I've never worked with so many managers/directors (many of whom are paid six figure salaries) who are so under qualified, over paid, and not held responsible for delivering results.

108 Other Employee Reviews for Medical University of South Carolina (View Most Recent)

Learned A lot

Former Employee - Intern in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Intern in Charleston, SC

I worked at Medical University of South Carolina part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and easy to work with

Cons

My position was just an internship so there wasn't much structure.

Current Employee - Agricult/Animal Assistant II in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Agricult/Animal Assistant II in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Medical University of South Carolina full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Within my department, you are given opportunities to advance up in your career by taking certification test that the department pays for and provides study materials. This not only gives you a raise with each certification passed but gives you many opportunities for those who want to achieve more than what they applied for.

Cons

Politics; every department has them. Some worse than others.

Communication. I believe this is one of the most important work ethics we can provide.

There are newer employer reviews for Medical University of South Carolina