Medidata Solutions

There are newer employer reviews for Medidata Solutions

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge but mature technology, good modern methodologies and great people. Definitely feel like your voice is heard on any issue. Great benefits and company culture, really fun place to work.

Cons

Not many negatives, as others have said with such a large company can be difficult to keep everyone on same page with current best practices. We do try, but it is difficult.

Don't lose the startup vibe!

98 Other Employee Reviews for Medidata Solutions (View Most Recent)

Politics, politics, and more politics

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*If you get the right manager who chooses to ignore all the BS processes put in place, you can have a good experience there.

*If you were there before the big growth boom (aka: those who can rattle off their employee number and it's in the single-double digits), you were promoted throughout that time and are very happy there.

*If your title involves "Senior Manager," "Director," or "VP" (which you'll notice most all of the positive votes for this place have), you'll be very happy there.

*Great severance package! If you're trying to get out of there, see what you can do about leaving in a way to get one of those. They're quite amazing.

*If you worked in the right office, there were many social things (most not sponsored by the company, all involved employees chipping in a few dollars each and doing organization on their own) which were fun.

Cons

*No chance for growth whatsoever. During my time there (over 3 years), I watched the following happen:

1) Manager changed 3 times. Not a single time was anyone in my group even considered to be promoted to manager, despite multiple people being there for 5+ years and doing a very good job.
    2) Groups which were basically directly above us either expanded or replaced people at least 7-8 times. I asked the manager of one of the groups what I would need to do to have a chance next time there was an opening. Over the next 1.5 years, I followed the list he gave me to a T, showed him what I did the next time there was an opening, and he asked, "Why did you focus on that? That's not what you need for this group." When I responded that it was because it was what he said was needed, there was no further questions or answers. I was just flat-out lied to, to get me off his back. That was the only time I saw anyone considered to move up, and of course then everyone else got mad at me for trying to move up at all.
    3) The only person I ever saw move up into another group is someone who was a manager already in our group. Again, not a single person was ever even considered, while multiple people were brought in from outside.

*Politics. You're either playing the game or you're not. It would take too long to go through the stories, but everything you can imagine was involved: lying, backstabbing, sex, alcohol, drugs....it was like a modern day Game of Thrones, only with less incest.

*You will be lied to, and if you're not playing politics and are friends with the right people, nothing else matters. While trying to move up, I of course was trying to blow away any goal I was given, as to show I'm a good worker in general, while also showing interest and learning towards the job I want in the company. The result was management telling me that the work I did didn't really count, since it was so much some had to have been made up, while others, who did far, FAR less work, I was told were obviously doing more since they were in a busier office, and the work was just going undocumented. I tried that strategy next (not taking so much time to document, and instead focus on doing more work), and was then told that I'm obviously no longer doing much work, since there was little documented.

*You will be worked to death. I worked in a back-end supporting role while there. I saw the company grow well over 100 people during the time there. I saw our group lose a headcount and saw groups above us dump some of the more menial work on us at the same time. The result is adding more and more work onto our plates with no recognition, thanks, increase in salary, bonus, or any other incentive whatsoever.

*Frequent, expected, unpaid overtime. Again, with no recognition, thanks, or anything else involved. It is just expected at the lowest levels, while other than in sales, you will not see a manager work late, ever.

1) Flatten the management, a LOT. There are far, FAR too many middle managers, all of which are perpetuating the awful environment there.

2) Promote from within. Not just a key person who has been playing politics. If there's an opening, give people within a chance to apply BEFORE outsiders.

3) Understand that if employees are asked to continue to do more and more, they expect recognition in return. It doesn't have to be monetary, but have some kind of rewards structure in place.

The Best Company to Work For -- Making a Difference in the Lives of Every Human on the Planet

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A 10+ year old company run by the original founders and an unwavering commitment to revolutionize the world of clinical trials.

Never in my career have I seen people so passionate about bringing drugs and devices into the global market to improve the quality of life for millions of people.

Other pros in addition to strong leadership:
      * Working with talented peers who challenge and inspire each other
      * Transparency
      * Amazing company parties and other fun after hour social events
      * Cool SaaS technologies like Gmail, Google apps, Jobvite, GitHub, etc.
      * Charitable contributions to causes within the Healthcare industry
      * Contributions to the open source community
      * Career development & opportunities for growth
      * Agile software development and constant delivery of new products
      * Gorgeous new offices in London, NYC, and Tokyo
      * Environemt of constant learning: Brown bag lunches, participation in industry conferences, and many other learning opportunities

Cons

Because the company has been growing so quickly over the last ten years (100x growth), some of the processes and people have been unable to keep pace with the changes. You have to be intelligent and passionate about making a difference in clinical trials to be successful at Medidata. If you're not, you will most likely end up in the same boat as the employees writing negative reviews on this website...

Never lose your passion for making a difference in clinical trials.

There are newer employer reviews for Medidata Solutions