Great technology, Poor Management, Worst HR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn new cutting edge software technology. Work with great people, helping support.

Cons

Midlevel Management don't understand what makes great software. Don't know appreciate great work. so they can't evaluate. Worst HR ever seen.

Advice to Management

Hire good people, and only good people.

Medidata Solutions Response

Aug 4, 2014 – EVP, Human Resources

We appreciate hearing all input on current and previous employees experience. We share the sentiment that keeping the bar high for prospective talent is incredibly important. We are growing at an ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great People, not so great management

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people generally speaking. Hired very talented people. Successful company doing really well

Cons

Poor people management, difficult work life balance

Medidata Solutions Response

Aug 4, 2014 – EVP, Human Resources

With our headcount growth close to 20% per year, we understand that some of our employees (who are amazing contributors and valued members of our organization) may not have been ready for the ... More

Not a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

Still a good company. Still very customer-centric, still a company of the smartest people out there and the best products on the market. Changes are being made, but that's normal for growing companies in continual growth mode. Yes, a bunch of people were let go, but I don't think it means anything for the long-term health of this company.

Cons

On the other hand, if you work here its pretty crappy day to day. Nowadays with all companies talking about HR and culture this company is the rare one that doesn't get it. They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay. Now we have HR that doesn't understand our business, doesn't understand that employees want to learn and advance in their careers, is feared and *rules* by intimidation and favoritism. Isn't that the worst reputation an HR department and HR head can have? People live in fear of getting on the bad side of the CEO or President or head of HR and getting fired for no reason, it's the topic of conversation and alot of anger. The head of HR visits the different offices and behaves like she owns them, and its widely known that people are nice to her face and then bad-mouth her behind her back (but never to the CEO or President of course, no honest feedback to them ever). I can even understand the recent firings to be honest, companies need to make changes to keep growing, but the way HR handled them wasnt good. HR can relax the dress code and the PTO policy all they want but those are small compared to what this company needs to put the culture back and regain employee loyalty. Doesn't matter what you can wear if you're not happy at work and doesnt matter that you can take as much vacation as you want if you can realistically never take any. This means HR doesn't understand the employees and what they need.

Advice to Management

#1 is keep our products as innovative and "cool" as they are now and stay as customer-centric as we are now. #2 is ask the former head of HR to come back so she can make things right again. #3 is don't run the company like you are two celebrities who no one can be honest with and everyone is afraid to disagree with. This was a great company; it is still a good company but not to work for, although I know it can be again if executive management would just be open to real feedback (people aren't even honest on employee surveys anymore).