There are newer employer reviews for Medifast

Great company with health focus.

Former Intern - Intern in Owings Mills, MD
Former Intern - Intern in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Medifast as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked on the R&D team, and they really care about making Medifast the best products available, and proving scientifically that they help people lose weight. Medifast does a lot to build a team environment, and has some great perks for employees.

Cons

Sometimes hard to back the product when you don't like it yourself. Medifast is an intense program, so it's not for everyone.

reviews filtered by

Don't be fooled! This is retail so you better be ready to make this company some money or else.

Former Employee - Senior Counselor
    Former Employee - Senior Counselor

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only 2- creating connections with members, and my coworkers.

Cons

Incompetent management at all levels.
    Complete disconnect between coprporate office and centers. Corporate has no idea what goes on in-center.
    Entire focus is on money and not on helping people lose weight as they claim.
    Recruiters and management lie about position duties and growth potential; there is none, unless you want to be a center manager.
    The redundancy of reports is ridiculous.
    Corporate decisions are usually illogical, slow to be communicated if at all, and employee feedback is ignored. They can't even make up their mind about the hours of operation.
    The amount of phone calls management forces employees to make to members borders on harassment and if a member states he/she no longer wants to be contacted, employees are told to ignore them and keep calling.

Listen to your employees!
    Quit focusing on making money and focus on taking care of the members.
    Hire people with weight loss experience (personal or professional) so they can empathize with members. Don't just hire a warm body to fill a position.
    Learn to value and motivate your employees!

No one knows what they are doing

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the members is rewarding.

Cons

*Every employee is forced to work from open to close every day that the centers are open - including every Saturday - even though that is NOT what we were told when we were hired
    *There are only 2 employees in many of the centers. This means very little time off and very, very long days.
    *The company offers a lot of PTO, but not much opportunity to use it.
    *No work-life balance. We all have to work until 7 two nights per week, until 8 one night, and work every Saturday from 8-3. They used to let us alternate opening and closing shifts so no one had to work from open to close, but that changed a couple of months ago.
    *Inconsistent direction from management - RMs tell you one thing, DMs another. Unprofessional behavior exhibited by RM (condescending, bullying behaviors).
    *Increasing micro-management, redundant paperwork, constant pressure and nagging to call anyone who asks for information about the Medifast program but does not become a member
    *No positive feedback from upper management; constant focus on what isn't being done right. Many employees feel like they don't do anything right, as the focus is always on $$$$ and never on how our members are progressing
    *Centers are not staffed adequately - if one staff member is sick or needs to take time off, many centers are left with only one person working.

Listen to your employees who are working in the centers. A lot of us are absolutely miserable. Provide consistency and enough staff in each district. Streamline procedures and paperwork. Stop asking us to act like used car salespeople. Be honest during the hiring process. Allow your center employees to work rotating shifts like you used to. A lot of us have families and lives outside of work. Allow us to have two days off in a row so we can travel, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Medifast