Meditech

www.meditech.com
  www.meditech.com
There are newer employer reviews for Meditech

Not just a starter company.

Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA
Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I used the title "not just a started company" to make the point that Meditech is so much more. In an age where job hopping seems to be the only way to advance your career, Meditech is a diamond in the rough. There are very few companies today that have any type of structure that would allow an individual to build a lifelong career with advancement of their choice (management, senior developers, sales, etc.) But that's that not only reason Meditech is a great place to work.....

1. Great people from entry level to senior management!
2. Great benefits - I pay under $125 for BCBS Family Health and Dental - unheard of! Awesome yearly bonus. Stock options that continue to pay impressive dividends even during economic crisis.
3. Amazing work environments - You don't appreciate a large, bright workstation with a chair that supports your back until you don't have it. It's like running water, you always need it but don't always appreciate it.
4. JOB SECURITY! Let me say it again JOB SECURITY! Meditech has a reputation for not taking resignations well. That's because they would never just up and fire an employee. If someone is not performing to the best of their ability Meditech works with that person to find a position that better meets their skill set. If someone is unhappy with their current position they are encouraged and assisted in searching for other opportunities in the company. Don't fire us and we won't fire you is the motto. So of course it does not feel good to upper management when employees leave with no prior mention of needing more or being unhappy. I have been at the company for 20+ years and in my tenure there has never been a layoff. What company can make that claim?
5. The company really does care about their employees. Without getting too personal or offering examples from others, I can speak from experience when I say that if you have a family emergency, a health issue or any personal hardship, Meditech will go to the limit to support you. When I tell people of my personal experience in this I always get the same response which is there are very few companies that treat their employees with such support and understanding.

Cons

The salaries can start on the low side and it can seem like it takes a while to get up to a competitive paycheck. That being said, hard work is rewarded with big jumps in salary in the early years. Taking into consideration that Meditech hires people with little or no previous related experience this seems like the logical approach. Also people sometimes only look at the paycheck in terms of salary. All factors need to be considered. The low cost healthcare puts more dollars in your pocket each month. Over time bonus and dividends yield significant yearly and quarterly income. If you add it all up in the end you make a very competitive salary at a company that cares about their employees.

172 Other Employee Reviews for Meditech (View Most Recent)

application specialist in client services

I have been working at Meditech

Pros

benefits, job security, company picnic

Cons

politics, salary, belief that anyone wanting to work elsewhere is wrong

take care of employees with better day to day salary

It's OK

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are excellent, they pick up 90% of medical and dental.
    They are pretty flexible you can star work anywhere from 7 am to 11 am. after 3 years you can work from home 1 day a week, if it snows hard they send you home for your safesty.
    Free parking, free soda, coffee and tea Their Cafeteria is pretty good and lunch is about $4.50.
    The best ever summer picnic with lobster, ribs make your own ice cream, gifts, and dozens of rides for the children. A bonus that is usually around 4% to 5% of your last 5 years of salary. The people are overall pretty nice.

Cons

Training is plentiful albeit very mediocre to horrible, the expertise is there the skills are not. It seems like they get the recipe to teach from a manual in a cracker jack box. Many times the training classes they make you take have nothing to do with your "real" job, but they want you to assist i so they can show it off to the regulators and institutions they cater to how studious their workforce is.
    Their software is way to complicated, and yes it does anything you would dream of in the medical setting but the learning curve is huge. It takes an average of 18 month to become comfortable with an application. And the pressure to learn the application is tremendous.
    They always low ball their completion estimates, and hence they are always behind the ball trying to complete the software, which in turn is delivered without being properly tested and validated. Since all employees are "Contractors" there are no OT hours and they are quick to ask you to stay extra hours to finish a given project, and harsh when you need some time off, its the law of the funnel a lot for me a little for you.
    They put emphasis that they have never laid anyone off in 40 years, and although technicality correct they try to make you quit if you do not fit their profile. I have been trying to get in a new group for 3 months and they are telling me that if I do not find a fit I should quit (not with those exact words, but that is what they convey when they speck with you)
    Management is all from within the Co., good if you are always doing the same old, bad if you are trying to think outside the box. Supervisors are a dime a dozen, most have no clue what management really means and end up just micromanaging their employees.
    They say that they are below average in employee turnover, and I do not know if this is true, but to me it seem extremely high especially coming from a Hospital background. My supervisor confessed to me that he has been here 13 years and he tells me that his hiring group was composed of 38 individuals, of which only 1 is left working in the company!
    Cubicles have no walls therefore there is 0 privacy, so making a phone call to your Doctor, insurance company, wife, etc is very uncomfortable, if you are speaking with a client you have to shush the people around you while also bugging anyone trying to concentrate on their work.
    The hardware they provide you with (except the laptops) is wholly inadequate to the task at hand. most of these boxes are running Winxp and Pentium 4 with 2.4 Ghz procesors and 1 gig of memory (if you are lucky), they started upgrading to mini acers with telephone processors (atom). And 15" monitors!!!
    They do not take criticism well, and if you dare question the Meditech "culture" they give you a dressing down and let you know in no uncertain terms that "You either tow the line, or leave"

Read the cons.