Medtronic

www.medtronic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Medtronic

Medtronic: Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to stay there

Former Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Santa Rosa, CA
Former Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Medtronic

Pros

Medtronic offers a very competitive salary compared to most other medical device companies, opportunities for advancement are abundant, although there is much competition. Generally, we have a pretty flexible schedule as long as the work gets done. Maybe not PC to say, but ethnic and language barriers are a major source of frustration. After all, we are based an hour from San Francisco. The culture is, however, quite diverse. Nice stock options. Bonuses each year, depending on position and company performance. In general, I receive a 5% bonus per year, although this is not every single year. Overall, just OK.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours in a very stuffy environment. Management makes decisions that are not well thought out. These decisions are often made by people with the least expertise on the topic. Medtronic's sluggish growth in the last year can largely be attributed to this one factor. The pressure to perform to meet deadlines is often met with reistant because objectives are not clear and timelines are often unrealistic. Overall, the chronic stress at this company leads to a very high turnover rate. Team perspectives are not considered. Nonexistent team dynamics, very much an every man for himself mentality.

Utilize your team more. We are the experts on the subject. You are merely a politician.

850 Other Employee Reviews for Medtronic (View Most Recent)

Medtronic helps the world, who's going to help them?

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Knowing that you are helping people live a full life is a great feeling. There are many exciting technical challenges to keep scientists and engineers engaged.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that all the company has is the mission and knowing that the work is helping people. "Well, at least I'm not hurting people" is a terrible reason to come to work. There seems to be a lot of 'historyonics' in play in several of the divisons that get in the way of progress because people want to hold on to the past (especially when the stock was splitting every other year). This frustrates new talent and is creating challenges retaining young talented people who can get the same headaches elsewhere for more pay.

Focus, focus, focus. Stop being all things to all people at all times. Prioritize the list, keep the list, work on and complete the top couple items, go back to list. Instead of work on items 1-100 simultaneously.

Solid company going through a transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Solid company going through transformation

Cons

Too many VPs, not enough ground workers.

Communicate