Great mission - big company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Northridge, CA
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Northridge, CA

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission Decent people Ability to work with patients and help make a difference

Cons

competitive environment political bureaucratic weak leadership "Too busy" mentality

Advice to Management

developing your people would help with long-term retention "Too busy" shouldn't be an excuse for lack of leadership

Other Employee Reviews for Medtronic

This place should be better than it is

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, challenging projects. Some intelligent, quirky, and kind coworkers. Okay pay. Free food sometimes. Free parking. Free tampons. 20 words yet?

Cons

Unworkable processes put in place without user input, and no interest in getting them fixed. Company allows poor behavior to thrive, even if it affects the bottom line. Lame tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Hello? Anyone there?? Employ managers who understand the business, the technology, and people, or at least one of those.

My honesty resulted in my contract getting terminated

Former Contractor - I T Field Sales Support Analyst in Columbia Heights, Anoka, MN

I worked at Medtronic as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. The team I worked with were collaborative and helpful, always willing to help if I had an end-user situation I wasn't sure how to handle.

Cons

Little to no communication from management.

Advice to Management

Learn to become more collaborative and flexible with your contractors. They make up a good percentage of your I.T. workforce, and if you penalize them for moonlighting or looking for extra hours elsewhere, you're going to develop a bad reputation. People willing to take on contract work do it largely because they have no choice, thanks to this "new" economy of ours. You need to adjust your managerial style to be more open and understanding, or you're going to lose good contractors to other companies. We DO talk amongst ourselves, you know.