Meijer

www.meijer.com

Great place to shop, terrible place to work.

Cashier (Former Employee)

Pros1. It's a job- you work, you get paid.
2. Regulated hours- you'll always have a certain amount of hours per week.
3. It's an easy, entry level job.

Cons1. Management takes the word of irate customers over that of employees.
2. Pay could be better.
3. Managers can be stubborn about feedback- The managers I had cared more about the "Friendliness Rating" of the store than they should have. 8 customers who did the survey DO NOT represent the thousands of customers that came in every day.
4. Management does not listen to employees about issues or problems.
5. Their disciplinary policy leaves much to be improved upon- At the store I worked at, more than a dozen employees were unjustly fired for nothing. Management simply twisted situations to make it look like a violation.
6. The union, UFCW does nothing to protect employees from contract violations.
7. It is frustrating to explain confusing promotions to customers, especially the impatient or dumb ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementHank Meijer, listen man, I like Meijer stores. I really do, but the company has some issues... big issues to work out before you can truly claim to be better than your competitors. I, as a former employee who worked directly with customers day-to-day, can tell you a thing or two to help improve:

1. Your managers need to start treating employees with respect. Meijer stores are quickly gaining a reputation for being an unfriendly workplace to the common red-shirt employee.
2. Do not administer employee discipline to the opinion of an irate customer. Irate customers do not care about your business. They only want to get a good deal, even if it means an employee losing his/her job over a customer complaint.
3. Trust your employees. It's why you've hired them in the first place. Yes, there will always be a bad employee or two, but when it comes down to it- give your employees the benefit of the doubt.
4. Stop the confusing marketing techniques. Promotions that require customers to buy this to get a discount on that are stupid. We employees suffer in the end by having to explain it to customers who are frustrated by it, and then they take it out on us.

At the store I worked at more than 10 cashiers were lost in a single month simply because they couldn't stand management anymore. And they were good, hard workers. Some had worked there a few years, others had put in 20 or more years.

Welcome to the union!

I have been working at Meijer

Pros: Pretty good pay during tough economic times. Get breaks and lunch… Cons: 10% discount to everything BUT food. Management do not want to hire enough people. Produce dept. only has 1 person on 2nd shift. since most of the time… Advice to Senior Management: Hire more people. CEO should try to work a shift to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Oppressive environment

I have been working at Meijer

Pros: Good place to work while trying to further you education. Cons: Dead end job. Promotion is not based on merit… Advice to Senior Management: Live up to the proclaimed values of the company, including… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Meijer.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!