There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

A Learning Experience

Former Employee - Service Worker
Former Employee - Service Worker

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Let's just say it was a good learning experience. I learned about the ins and outs of retail and it is not glamorous. Basically, holding this position was motivation for me to go to school and graduate.

Cons

The pay is less than stellar, management was pretty lousy, and it was not a great place to work because of these things. At my store, the culture was not the best and it really brought the experience down.

reviews filtered by
  1. Not bad for a first job

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Easy to get hired
    Work is not difficult
    No problems getting time off
    They have always worked around my school schedule

Cons

The work can be mundane
    Coworkers tend to slack off which means you are expected to do your work and theirs

Advice to Management

Give longer or more breaks
    Reward hard work with pay increases instead of pay increases by hour
    Don't hold workers over their shift at the last minute

2. Not the best decorating job.

Current Employee - Cake Decorator
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

The only pro I can think of is that Meijer is a good place to be trained for cake decorating. They will hire you with no experience and train you. It's a good place to get an idea of basic decorating so you can eventually move on to something better rather than paying for classes or schooling.
    They are also very strict about making sure you get all of your breaks and lunches, you can be written up for not taking enough breaks.

Cons

The cons are that there isn't very much room for creativity. Meijer is very strict about the cakes that can be displayed or made for special orders. There is never enough hours given to the decorators to be able to keep display cases full at all times and I feel that management purposely short staffs the employees to get them to work faster. The store directors don't really seem to care why the cake cases are empty, and they don't take the time to figure out what the problems really are they just tell you to fill them up. It's a never ending problem that I grew tired of very quickly.

Advice to Management

I think the management shouldn't make the focus so much about the customer and more about the employees. I think if they took the time to actually talk to some of them a lot of problems could be solved easily.

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer