There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Coworkers are great, bosses not so much

Current Employee - Stocker in Franklin, OH
Current Employee - Stocker in Franklin, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly relaxed work environment. The managers generally do not micromanage unless it is very busy or they are pressured to (meaning corporate is coming in). You can clock in and out without asking permission ( just make sure you do so at the correct time or you get points!). You can take your lunch breaks and 2 15 minute breaks when you want as well. As long as you get your work done, you should be fine (but that is easier said than done). My coworkers are great though!

Cons

The scheduling is crazy! There are never enough people scheduled on the busiest days which leads to chaos. Then you get in trouble because you cannot complete your task on time. If you are on probation, you will get blamed for everything.

Hire managers that can schedule! I understand that last minute changes are sometimes necessary (if a person calls off or if you expect that you will be receiving a large truck), but frequent changes make it a burden on everybody. We have a life too! At my place, you often end up with only 1 or 2 people in your area on busy days (which makes it hard to complete your tasks) and too many people on slow days (which means you finish hours early and have to spend time doing lame busy work. Lying about cutting peoples hours is unacceptable. Don't tell people that you are going to cut their hours only to have them work the same amount of time they usually do everyday (and then cancel their off days!)

627 Other Employee Reviews for Meijer (View Most Recent)

You have to learn to BS to upper management to be accepted.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Marion, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Marion, OH

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company itself is great to work for. They offer good pay and benefits for Team Leaders. They offer advancement opportunities to those who are wiling to drive or relocate.

Cons

The management in some stores doesn't create a positive work environment. Some Market Directors don't engage positively with their team leaders. Training is very lax.

Make sure each and every person has the tools they need to do their job to the best of their ability.

Terrible Treatment, Even Worse Management

Former Employee - Utility Worker in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Worker in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-My coworkers were awesome. I have made friendships during my time at Meijer that I know will last for the rest of my lifetime.

-Some of the regular customers were fantastic. I helped a few of them to their car with their purchases as a part of my job duties, and I always came away with a smile on my face.

-Proximity of the store was close to my house.

Cons

-My former store has been through three different store directors in the past two years. There is no stability in the store's leadership, which is visibly causing morale to suffer at my former store.

-If you speak up about harassment in the store, you will be fired even though the so-called "Open Door Policy" says you can't be terminated for reporting such things and the SilentWhistle system is supposed to be no-retaliation and anonymous. I found out the hard way neither of those things are true.

-Scheduling is a joke. No matter the length of time ahead of a request or the importance of the request, there is about a 95% chance you'll have that request denied.

-Even though one of Meijer's core values is "Familyness", they could care less about your family. I asked for two days off per week to spend time with family and take care of school obligations, and I was laughed out of the office. I have also been in the presence of coworkers being chewed out for making the same requests. If you want time off to spend with your family, just quit. They'd rather you work 10 days straight with just one day off after that than give you two days a week off to spend time with your family.

-Management has no respect for the employees unless they're other managers. This is especially true if you're supposedly the lowest job on the store totem pole. I was verbally abused by a team leader that wasn't even my boss on several different occasions. It took another team leader from another department to overhear the tirade being thrown my way to get the offending boss to leave me alone. Despite the many times I reported these incidents to my team leader, the store director, and HR, each handled the situation poorly. Some (corporate, specifically) ignored my multiple complaints altogether.

-Every time minimum wage increases, your hourly raise number resets. It doesn't matter if you're on hour 899 of 900; if minimum wage increases before you work the 900th hour, you don't get a raise. Because of this, I never received a raise during my entire duration of work at Meijer. I also never received one vacation day in my two years of employment, which is somehow tied into all the hourly raise numbers.

-If you have a problem with an unruly customer and have to call a team leader over to take care of the problem, they will always give in to the rude customer and make you look like a fool for following store policy. I have so many stories to tell about this exact thing that I could write a book.

-There is a lot of favoritism. If you want to keep your job at Meijer, you'd better be in management's clique; otherwise, the first small mistake you make will land you in the unemployment line.

-Essential things we needed for our jobs that stopped working were rarely replaced or repaired. There are at least four lanes at my store that have been broken for about five years. Whenever the store gets busy, this affects how things run in the front end of the store.

-Rules are needed, but the ones Meijer enacts to take care of one-off mistakes made by a single individual in the store are designed to be enforced as if everyone else is a child. For example, on a day I didn't work, someone went into my team leader's office and destroyed some of her belongings. When I came in to work the next day, I was yelled at for the incident and had to sign a paper even though I was 200 miles away from the store when the destruction took place. Do be advised that one person's irresponsibility (or stupidity, to be frank) will most likely affect everyone in the store if something like this happens--yes, even if you're a state away from the store at a baseball game when the act takes place.

-Turnover rate is excessively-high, likely for reasons I've already described.

-One more very important thing to note: the atmosphere has changed to something even worse at my former store in the past few months. I have seen a declining number of customers in the store every time I visit, and the amount of business is nowhere near where it was when I worked there. Before, cars would be parked out to the gas station, and the parking lot situation was dangerous for anyone like me who primarily worked in that setting; now, the whole place feels lifeless and dead. I'm not sure how the sales are doing, but just going by my business knowledge, this few customers during peak times can't be good for any establishment. That is why I have stated the outlook of the business is getting worse in my rating.

I know this list is very long--and honestly, there is so much more I could write--but I'd like to let people know what goes on in a typical Meijer store.

Treat your employees with basic human respect, and listen when they suggest things or point out problems in the store. I truly enjoyed working at Meijer when I was first hired, but that changed after management began openly disrespecting employees in plain sight of the customer and treating others like grade-school children.

Also to corporate: invest in your stores. My former store is the most dated-looking store in the market. I'm not sure if that's what's causing the customers to flee in droves to the modern-looking mart of walls next door, but it has to have at least some effect.

There is no reason to make anyone feel like just a disposable piece of meat or anything less than a grown adult on the job. That is how I felt every day from mid-2008 until I was fired in 2009. It's no wonder so many on this page shies away from recommending employment at Meijer to friends and family. After going through what I went through, I can't say I'd recommend the company, either. To a company that I gave many hours over a two-year span, that's disappointing.

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer