There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

It was extremely mixed, ranging from best of the best to Dante’s Inferno .

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Dublin, OH
Former Employee - Clerk in Dublin, OH

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

IF a good supervisor and store manager, the super will cover your back.
THEN your challenge is good customer service and making your supervisor look good.

Cons

IF an evil supervisor, your life will be a living hell .
The laws of most jurisdictions forbid an “Operation Anthropoid” solution.
The only real solution is termination of BOTH the employee and the supervisor, with hope that Karma will eventually get him/her .

Pay serious attention to responsible complaints concerning rogue supervisors, thereby avoiding the risk of learning of a rage slaying of the rogue supervisor at your store on your watch .

Corporate or field management will throw you under the train and it will be YOUR fault .

587 Other Employee Reviews for Meijer (View Most Recent)

Decent company that is ran like nearly every other retailer.

Former Employee - Ad Product Coordinator  in  Greenville, MI
    Former Employee - Ad Product Coordinator in Greenville, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The co-workers are all in the same boat. If things are good, everyone can enjoy working together. If things are bad, they understand. You are never alone in your thoughts or feelings on how the company is doing.

Cons

You can bust your butt day in and day out. Every task assigned to you can be completed in record time with quality and efficiency. But if you are 2 minutes or more late for work or coming back from break, you're no better than the people who don't do a dang thing the entire time they are there. Matter of fact, as long as they're on time, nothing will ever be done or said about the fact that they accomplish nothing during their entire shift.

I don't know about the upper management, but I'd rather have someone who's a few minutes late working for me, than someone who doesn't do anything to further the sales or customer satisfaction.

Coworkers are great, bosses not so much

Current Employee - Stocker  in  Franklin, OH
    Current Employee - Stocker in Franklin, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fairly relaxed work environment. The managers generally do not micromanage unless it is very busy or they are pressured to (meaning corporate is coming in). You can clock in and out without asking permission ( just make sure you do so at the correct time or you get points!). You can take your lunch breaks and 2 15 minute breaks when you want as well. As long as you get your work done, you should be fine (but that is easier said than done). My coworkers are great though!

Cons

The scheduling is crazy! There are never enough people scheduled on the busiest days which leads to chaos. Then you get in trouble because you cannot complete your task on time. If you are on probation, you will get blamed for everything.

Hire managers that can schedule! I understand that last minute changes are sometimes necessary (if a person calls off or if you expect that you will be receiving a large truck), but frequent changes make it a burden on everybody. We have a life too! At my place, you often end up with only 1 or 2 people in your area on busy days (which makes it hard to complete your tasks) and too many people on slow days (which means you finish hours early and have to spend time doing lame busy work. Lying about cutting peoples hours is unacceptable. Don't tell people that you are going to cut their hours only to have them work the same amount of time they usually do everyday (and then cancel their off days!)

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!