Meijer

www.meijer.com
There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Meijer is a good job for a college student

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Essexville, MI
Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Essexville, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest pro is there is a union and you are guaranteed raises. Part-time employees can get medical, dental and vision insurance (which is decent).

Cons

Terrible shift start times "4 a.m. is first shift" in the produce department at the Meijer I work at. They don't have a good reward or incentive program for employees. The extreme emphasis of Micro management of employees is also bad.

Create an actual incentive/ reward program for your employees; also cut back on the amount of Micro management.

691 Other Employee Reviews for Meijer (View Most Recent)

Horrible management.

Former Employee - Cashier in Caledonia, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Caledonia, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Met my best friend while working there, got to interact with lots of different people and learn about different transaction types.

Cons

Where to begin! Crappy hours, very fast paced, cranky customers who are not afraid to tell you what you're doing wrong, management always backs the customer when they complain about a cashier, people who don't know how to use their cards or have thousands of random coupons, also managers are not afraid to take you off the schedule if they feel they need to review your employment status within '24 hours', and it will take weeks to hear back, and then they fire you when you come back in for your shift. Union also is a joke. They pretend to care, but hardly return your calls. If you like being treated horribly by customers and managers alike, this is a perfect place for you.

Be consistent, don't always back the customer just because you fear face to face confrontation. Also, if you are going to fire an employee, you need to do it within a timely manner with written documentation as to why, and not leave the employee hanging for weeks not knowing what they did wrong.

Meijers is a Southern Plantation and you're the field hand.

Current Employee - Utility Worker in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Utility Worker in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting paid every week is pretty nice and they try to give you the hours you want.

Cons

Utility workers are usually treated like slaves, at least that's how it is at my Meijers. We hardly get any recognition for the work we do, and are usually looked down upon. Calling in is a pain and unless you physically can't get out of bed, they're down your throat. When you do call in, no one cares. Also, holdovers during holidays are to be expected, especially if you're not already working eight and a half.

Turnovers are extremely high. It's in part to the actual work and the management. It's not an easy job and someone has to be determined to stay at it.

If you're a service runner, you're expected to be a janitor, cart pusher and a million other things. If it's a really busy day like a Saturday or a holiday and you have the beeper, you minus well put away your vest and rope because you won't be going outside anytime soon.

Management doesn't care if you're in high school or college. They will schedule some people over their allotted hours while giving some people a four hour shift one day a week. THEN they wonder why there aren't more carts in the corral.

They say we can't work in groups like two or three because "it's a distraction from the job" but really it's not. We bring in more carts because we encourage each other. If management catches us taking a breather for even thirty seconds, we get yelled at because we're not killing ourselves. You'd think we'd just committed a serious crime by the way they treat us sometimes.

Because you're supposedly the lowest on the totem pole, you're not respected and you're pitied. I've only ever had one SC consistently tell me I've been doing a good job and that I'm a hard worker. If they catch you with your cell phone, you're yelled at, even if you're checking the time.

Show some love to all your employees! A little recognition goes a long way. Give us some time to adjust schedules if we're going to be held over. If it's a busy day, schedule enough people instead of expecting three or four people to get every single cart and not be tired.

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer