There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Eh...

Current Employee - Cashier in Okemos, MI
Current Employee - Cashier in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's just the typical cashier job. It's fairly easy and doesn't take too long to get comfortable in what you're doing.
I've had very nice team leaders. If you do a good job working they never fail to compliment you on you improvements.
Breaks and lunches are usually on time, every 2 hours or so.
There is always a chance to get a hefty amount of hours a week. As a part time cashier I was at one point averaging 30 or so hours which isn't too bad. If it's busy they always ask you if you would like more hours.
I guess if you really want to you can ask to switch departments and there is a lot of opportunity to move forward.

Cons

Lack of cashiers at your store will force you to make up for the lacking and you'll have to work longer out of force. (they have the ability to hold you for an hour or so)
Pay is terrible. Any cashier pay is terrible though. I got my first raise after my 300 hours (15 cents) and am still currently at 7.55$ after 6 months. Not too bad but whatever.

620 Other Employee Reviews for Meijer (View Most Recent)

Great Experience

I have been working at Meijer (more than 5 years)

Pros

Experience builder with a variety of customers

Cons

hard to move up unless you know someone

Working for peanuts

Former Employee - Cashier in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Southfield, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great interaction with customers, possibilities for insurance, union job, and raises depending on the amount of hours that are worked.

Cons

Low pay, managers arent usually willing to help with the work load, unappreciated work, and you are told that you have no option about joining the union.

PLEASE take into consideration that team members respect a manager more if they are willing to help when there is an overwhelming amount of customers to take care of and you are expected to do it in a short amount of time. This company would be enjoyable to work for if there was more respect given to each individual employee and possibly recognition (even just a printed certificate) given to cashiers or other team members for going above and beyond their job duties.

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer