There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Great place to work for self-starter

Current Employee - Service Desk Attendant in Algonquin, IL
Current Employee - Service Desk Attendant in Algonquin, IL

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Meijer is a great place to work for the independent, self-motivated individual willing to take on responsibility for themselves. These individuals will be able to grow within the organization, but they first need to learn to not rely on overburdened management to acknowledge everything they do.

Cons

As noted in the pros section, the management is overburdened and they might not be able to recognize every employees needs and/or wants.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the hard work done by your best employees, for they are the ones who want to stick around with the organization, one that is already a member of the big-box retail chains, notorious for high turnover rates.

reviews filtered by
  1. Meijer

Current Employee - GM Area Team Leader
    Current Employee - GM Area Team Leader

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Gererous vacation and paid time off. Meijer works well with personal scheduals. Ability to work in a large company with a small company feal.

Cons

Overall pay is not that great and raises do not come around very often. Benifits (medical) are poor, but afordable. Vision benifit is very minimal.

Advice to Management

Meijer needs to work on their benifit package to make it more competitive, with more packages offered. Vision package might as well not exist they way it is now.

Point system screws over divorced working parent of 5.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

I've gained a lot of experience as I fill-in for others. I've learned to be very flexible and knowledgeable about the gas station, receiving, display assembly, liquor sales.

Cons

After 7 years at Meijer I knew my days were numbered when they changed work rules and implemented a point system. Points assigned if late from break, late for work whether call in was made or not, can't use vacation days if child sick or car trouble because it has to be prescheduled. As a divorced mother of 5 this system I am penalized because I have to deal with the trials and tribulations of having 5 kids and I drive a junk car, I am penalized by points because my car quits, my kids get sick, or I get sick. The point system is designed to harm employees. I work very hard at my job, go above and beyond, do everything I am asked even if it is outside of my job description. . .bust my buns every day. This is no place to work if you are a single parent. I had chances for promotions but could not take them because they threw in a day or two of mandatory night work per week and I had no child care for those hours. They assigned me to a number of weeks of 2nd shift knowing I had no child care. I worked the hours and my 5 kids were home alone with a 14 year old autistic child in charge.

Advice to Management

Employers are supposed to do no harm to employees. I am a very hard worker and my supervisor has acknowledged that I really "bust my buns at work" and am a valued employee. I fear I'll lose my job because of points because my car broke down, my kids got sick, I'm late to work because of kid related problems.