Meijer

www.meijer.com

Good but not a livable job

Warehouse Associate/Distributor (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsManagement seems to care about you and want you to do well (not a normal thing for Meijer in the stores but the warehouse is a bit different). The rate that one gets in a week is always posted on the following week so you know how well you did.. This coupled with the managers telling you that you did a good job when you make a good % rate is a good feedback system, and gives you some job satisfaction. Weekly meetings are helpful in letting the employees know what's going on. Job isn't too difficult. Can make a lot of money after being there for a couple years. Promotion of safety as number one is always a plus (they promote productivity but safety is always number one). Raises are very good. Every 400 hours results in about a 30 cent to 60 cent raise, which means you could get up to 5 raises a year if you are lucky. The longer you are there, the easier it gets.

ConsHours are a joke. It is next to impossible to earn full time status. Checks are about 1/3 the poverty level when you start ($140 a week at the average 24 hours a week). Second job is required for the first couple years of employment. That terrible pay is also the result of union dues taken out of every already low check. You could make much more working at Taco bell or McDonalds. Very hectic at first and hard to keep up with the weekly standards. Some people that they hire are very incompetent and don't care about anything but their rate.. even constantly not pulling their pallets leaving you having to do extra work and still make your rate. Point system is as ruthless as it gets. Most of the warehouses have much less satisfactory conditions then the one I am in but pay a bit more.. the freezer is the most extreme example.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out those that don't work hard and are selfish and only work for themselves. Give a livable amount of hours a week (at least 30). Don't have early out sheets every week unless you are only hiring people that live with their parents and use that job as a bonus to their allowance (or just a bonus to sort of pay for just a car). Most would be willing to work harder if the money was there.

It has been a very good learning experience in a field I have never worked in.

Bakery Team Member (Current Employee) Davison, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time for less than a year

Pros: After only 2 days of training, I was asked by my boss if I was ready to go it alone. I am already their… Cons: It is only part time and minimum wage. Must report to the department leader if you punch out 1 minute past… Advice to Senior Management: Understand that with the amount of work that needs to be… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

terrible

Pricing (Former Employee) Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: full time employees can get decent insurance Cons: they do not do what they say they are going… Advice to Senior Management: mean what you say and say what you mean No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Meijer.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!