There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Good but not a livable job

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate/Distributor in Lansing, MI
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate/Distributor in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management seems to care about you and want you to do well (not a normal thing for Meijer in the stores but the warehouse is a bit different). The rate that one gets in a week is always posted on the following week so you know how well you did.. This coupled with the managers telling you that you did a good job when you make a good % rate is a good feedback system, and gives you some job satisfaction. Weekly meetings are helpful in letting the employees know what's going on. Job isn't too difficult. Can make a lot of money after being there for a couple years. Promotion of safety as number one is always a plus (they promote productivity but safety is always number one). Raises are very good. Every 400 hours results in about a 30 cent to 60 cent raise, which means you could get up to 5 raises a year if you are lucky. The longer you are there, the easier it gets.

Cons

Hours are a joke. It is next to impossible to earn full time status. Checks are about 1/3 the poverty level when you start ($140 a week at the average 24 hours a week). Second job is required for the first couple years of employment. That terrible pay is also the result of union dues taken out of every already low check. You could make much more working at Taco bell or McDonalds. Very hectic at first and hard to keep up with the weekly standards. Some people that they hire are very incompetent and don't care about anything but their rate.. even constantly not pulling their pallets leaving you having to do extra work and still make your rate. Point system is as ruthless as it gets. Most of the warehouses have much less satisfactory conditions then the one I am in but pay a bit more.. the freezer is the most extreme example.

Advice to Management

Weed out those that don't work hard and are selfish and only work for themselves. Give a livable amount of hours a week (at least 30). Don't have early out sheets every week unless you are only hiring people that live with their parents and use that job as a bonus to their allowance (or just a bonus to sort of pay for just a car). Most would be willing to work harder if the money was there.

Other Employee Reviews for Meijer

Family business on a large scale

Current Employee - Customer Service Lines Leader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lines Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growing, and profitable company. Care about customer service, and freshness.

Cons

Lack of leadership development at the store level. Trial by fire for new upcoming managers. Update older buildings and push for greater accountability in facilities maintenance.

Advice to Management

Store leadership are hard workers, but not the best leaders and communicators. Consider HR in the stores.

It has been a very good learning experience in a field I have never worked in.

Current Employee - Bakery Team Member in Davison, MI
    Current Employee - Bakery Team Member in Davison, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After only 2 days of training, I was asked by my boss if I was ready to go it alone. I am already their main baker. I'm also being trained in other parts of the department. I believe my boss thinks I am capable to being promoted.

Cons

It is only part time and minimum wage. Must report to the department leader if you punch out 1 minute past scheduled time. It could be considered overtime and the possibility of being written up is a constant threat to have points added.

Advice to Management

Understand that with the amount of work that needs to be done, 8 hours a day is necessary to get the job completed.