Meijer

www.meijer.com

Despite union catoring to those who want to only show up, is a good place to work

Current Employee - Service Coordinator  in  Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

I started working there as something to do while I was laid off and my benefits had run out. They are all about putting people to work. From the little time I have spent there I have discovered that my store actually values the people who work and pull their weight and will do there best to get rid of the ones who will not. There are a few stragglers and hangers on but overall it is a good place to work if you are a hard worker.

Cons

Union is set-up to protect the seniority of "warm bodies" it attracts some less then stellar talent who are only looking to do the minumum and get paid. Training is an area that needs some work, I think there expectations are high and they need to give more support to employees so that they have an easier time in meeting those expectations. An e-learning style of training just isn't as effective as a one on one/face to face training session.

If you want to reduce turnover spend more time on recruiting and training new employees so the new hire learning curve is not so steep!

Other reviews for Meijer

Meijer Team Leader

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Meijer is a good place to work, they are flexible with scheduling and the salary is comparable to other retailers. The people are generally nice to work with.

Cons

The promotional opportunities are limited due, to the amount of stores compared to wal mart or target. They tend to promote from outside rather than within, for upper management.

As with most retailers, a positive attitude and company first mentality will take you far, if you work hard.

I've had better jobs

Current Employee - Deli  in  Cadillac, MI
    Current Employee - Deli in Cadillac, MI

Pros

Meijer provides a steady paycheck, close to home and I work with a great team and respect my other Deli coworkers

Cons

There are so many places to start... the team leaders are incompetent. Their job consists of micro-managing a department that they do not know how to run. There is not enough help to complete all the shift work while keeping up with customers needs and overtime is constantly an issue. Employees are overworked and under appreciated... the stress makes you want to scream!

Remove the current team leader(s), hire more reliable help for our department and meet your employees needs as well as the customers....

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!