Meijer

www.meijer.com
  www.meijer.com
There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Not as bad as some of these reviews make it sound.

Current Employee - Area Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN
Current Employee - Area Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

As with any retail job, experiences will vary from market to market within the same company...even store to store. But my overall experience from 2 different stores and 3 different store directors is that if you come to work to actually work instead of feeling entitled to a paycheck just for clocking in on time, then things will go well for you and you will have opportunities for advancement should you show the interest and take some initiative.

Cons

Pay for team members isn't very competitive and not merit-based whatsoever. Aside from nickel-and-dime incentives for certain jobs, pay for team members is based solely on how many hours you have worked, not what qualifications and experience you may bring when being hired how well you do your job or (see comment on advancement above for how to overcome this.)

Give your store management the flexibility to compensate strong employees/potential hires better pay when appropriate. The turnover costs you would save far surpass the cost of losing strong team members we simply can't afford to hire and/or retain. Hire an Industrial Engineer to analyze this and she/he will present you with the same conclusion and actually quantify for you the amount of money you are currently throwing away on warm bodies.

657 Other Employee Reviews for Meijer (View Most Recent)

Overall great retailer.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Oxford, MI
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Oxford, MI

I worked at Meijer

Pros

Good benefits. Fair wages for salaried associates.

Cons

Open 24 hours, every holiday.

Respect your workers as they are the core that holds the store together

I'd rather work for a vendor.

Current Employee - Third Shift Stocking in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Third Shift Stocking in Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

The union makes it easy to stay as long as you show up when you're scheduled to work. The pay is weekly, which is a nice feature, and a lot of the coworkers are easy to get along with. The employee discount is okay, not great.

Cons

The TMAG system hurts morale. Some employees get written up while others don't, and it appears to be at the discretion of the team leader. We are consistently under-manned, with a handful of people expected to do the work of an army. Incompetent persons remain, not getting TMAGs even though management knows they wander around the store, take unpunched breaks, and show up to work drunk. A particular team leader is known to sleep in his car for the majority of his shift, and the product flow director does nothing about it.

I'm hanging on to the job just so I don't have to find another one in the summer when school lets out, but I cannot see myself working here once my degree is finished. The pay starts at minimum wage, but I have worked for vendors that carry products at Meijer, and the vendor pay started at $10/hr. If you're only paying minimum wage, you're not going to attract exceptional workers. I've learned to not push myself to hard, because while I could do exceptional work, I'm paid the same or less than people who do less than me.

The TMAG system hurts the good workers who occasionally get sick or need a day off, while the bad workers aren't being written up because they're buddies with the management. Team leaders are often either too lax (and sleep in their cars, refusing to help us red shirts even when we're behind) or they are too strict, harassing us when we call off sick or need a change in the schedule.

The union's pay structure is a major disincentive. I would rather be paid by the piece. The case count system is flawed and needs to be rethought. I think Meijer needs to think more about the little guys and less about lining their pockets, because that is how it is seen by employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer