There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

Okay for retail.

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Grand Ledge, MI
Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Grand Ledge, MI

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

I've found my department manager to be very accomodating of my schedule outside of work. It's a not very demanding to really do your job. I know it may not be the case in all locations, but my store has a real positive atmosphere and it seems like people actually enjoy their jobs. It seems to me that the people that work here actually enjoy what they do, helping out customers, finding solutions to problems and finding what the customer wants. The daily meetings really do help to keep everybody informed of what is happening and provide a great place to ask questions and find answers about daily things you may not have run into before. The management at my store is pretty much derived from former sales clerks, and they recognize what we do everyday.

Cons

First, it's retail, so you have your run of the mill customer issues all the time. Of course, that can't really be helped. Some of the employees are cliquish and really, it seems mostly like a dead end job as there aren't really that many ways to move up the ladder. Also, the managers just tend to let you go unless you are doing something wrong instead of offering suggestions to make things better in general.

Make sure you are taking employee feedback into account with new policies. When looking at what is being taken, also look at what is being given. Flexibility is key, and it helps keep the employees happy, especially with scheduling and recording time. More feedback is needed on job performance.

622 Other Employee Reviews for Meijer (View Most Recent)

Nice part time work for people who don't have to live on the salary.

Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in Grand Ledge, MI
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in Grand Ledge, MI

I worked at Meijer

Pros

10% discount. People you work with. Decent pay if you're willing to work several years at very low pay. Union support if you have a major problem. Boring cushy job as a general merchancise clerk (compared to working your butt of in grocery for very little difference in pay.)

Cons

salary and benefits. very few full time opportunities. The union (UFCW) is the worst I've ever been a member of. The union seems to not work very hard for the employees. It tends to agree with management that cost cutting should take precedence over employees salary and benefits because of the competition in retail market.

work with union to retain current employees. do separation interviews to find out why employees don't last 1 year.

Actual Employee's Honest Opinion

Current Employee - Receiving Team Member in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Receiving Team Member in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

If you really need a job, it's okay. I mean, Meijer is not a good idea for someone looking for a long-term career.

Cons

Very low salary if you are anything but a cashier, and no recognition for doing well by team leaders. You can barely support yourself off of the Meijer salary. You start out at minimum wage, and to receive your first raise, you must work 700 hours. Your first raise is 5 cents. Your team leaders really have no respect for you, and some of them won't even check on you the entire day. And if you do a really good job on something, what do you get? Nothing.

Praise employees for doing well instead of ignoring them.

There are newer employer reviews for Meijer