Okay for retail.

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Grand Ledge, MI
Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Grand Ledge, MI

Pros

I've found my department manager to be very accomodating of my schedule outside of work. It's a not very demanding to really do your job. I know it may not be the case in all locations, but my store has a real positive atmosphere and it seems like people actually enjoy their jobs. It seems to me that the people that work here actually enjoy what they do, helping out customers, finding solutions to problems and finding what the customer wants. The daily meetings really do help to keep everybody informed of what is happening and provide a great place to ask questions and find answers about daily things you may not have run into before. The management at my store is pretty much derived from former sales clerks, and they recognize what we do everyday.

Cons

First, it's retail, so you have your run of the mill customer issues all the time. Of course, that can't really be helped. Some of the employees are cliquish and really, it seems mostly like a dead end job as there aren't really that many ways to move up the ladder. Also, the managers just tend to let you go unless you are doing something wrong instead of offering suggestions to make things better in general.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are taking employee feedback into account with new policies. When looking at what is being taken, also look at what is being given. Flexibility is key, and it helps keep the employees happy, especially with scheduling and recording time. More feedback is needed on job performance.

Other Employee Reviews for Meijer

Not worth all the time, effort, and stress

Current Employee - General Merchandising Clerk in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - General Merchandising Clerk in Kokomo, IN

Pros

very flexible schedules... they will try their best to work with you on a schedule that suits them and you

Cons

very high yet somewhat unreasonable expectations.... we are expected to complete several different tasks that are extremely time consuming for several people yet there is usually only one person... we are pressed so thin that it is extremely stressful and counterproductive when you have unreasonable deadlines!

Advice to Management

Act like you really appreciate your employees and pay better, most of us are making minimum wage doing more than one job assignment yet we dont receive the extra compensation

2. Just another crappy job

Former Employee - Produce Team in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Produce Team in Okemos, MI

Pros

There are flexible hours offered so one can take a day or two off from time to time with no questions.

Cons

Managers are typically incompetent. Need your manager for something? You can probably find them in the smokers' break room.

Advice to Management

Senior management is typically not as bad as mid-level management. In fact I found many competent upper level managers.