There are newer employer reviews for Meltwater Group

Great earning potential if you are into sales.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Meltwater Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent Earnings especially for an entry level position. Start-up company type atmosphere as opposed to a corporate Job. European company so great vacation and benefits. Opportunities to work abroad and all over the USA.

Cons

A lot of upper management is at their position since they where with the company at the early stages, therefore a lot of them are not knowledgeable and acquired position based on friendships. Most upper management is very young has no work experience other than Meltwater. A lot of management is from Europe so has no real understanding of the US business climate.

To many impulse decisions on the direction of the company that are poorly thought out. Many promotions seem more because of friendships within management rather than performance based.

92 Other Employee Reviews for Meltwater Group (View Most Recent)

If you're smart, independent and want a bright future DON'T waste your time

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Meltwater Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spending time with a *few* nice people who have also been sucked in.

Cons

I survived for 2 years; and can't believe I didn't leave earlier.
    HR is non-existent - I witnessed many internal issues (sexism, racism, abuse, unprofessional behaviour) that were completely ignored.
    You are expected to be "Best friends" with everyone and spend your waking minutes with colleagues - otherwise you don't fit in.
    Many senior staff have left and senior management has crumbled.
    Encouraged to sell a product for whatever the price to people and organisations who don't actually need it.

Promote people who clearly set leadership examples - not just those who can sell.

International opportunities for proactive & ambitious sales people

Former Employee - Managing Director
    Former Employee - Managing Director

I worked at Meltwater Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For overachievers this is the perfect place to get responsibility fast and travel around the world, at least this was the scenario a couple of years ago. The salary is ok once you get promoted to a Managing Director or equivalent. The culture and the people are amazing and make it worthwhile to get to work everyday.

Cons

The balance between work and personal life is generally pretty bad. In order to progress you may have to move abroad which can of course be a great thing, but also a challenge if you have a family or you are in a serious relationship. The support with transferring abroad is limited, at least at the time I had to do everything on my own.

The quick promotion scheme based on one's sales performance alone has produced a immature middle management that lack the experience and training required to cope with their responsibilities. The senior management rarely has the time to mentor their subordinates and the training programs are few and far between. The much appraised MBA training for MDs for instance was once organised for certain regions only due to cash flow issues. I personally never had the opportunity to take part even though I had the MD role in several different offices. This made me feel unequal with my colleagues.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the communication and change management is terrible and this I know to be a big issue still. A company growing as fast as Meltwater should pay more attention to how they manage these rather massive organisational changes it has to go through quite frequently. It is risky business to put pressure on people to leave the company just because they have to implement a change quickly and they haven't managed to find a suitable role for everybody. Communication in these situations has been notoriously poor and left many committed people bitter. The group HR is still in its early days and has never been much prioritized by the senior management. There is no local support and the HR staff in general has no relevant education (they're all former sales consultants etc.) nor the local expertise required to tackle tricky situations such as maternity leaves, transfers or dismissals.

Meltwater has to find new ways to nurture motivation and commitment as the size it has reached can no longer offer such rapid progression to its employees as it used to. The management should invest in the employer image as currently its name doesn't give a good impression in one's CV. My advise would be to invest more in the training of all employees, not just the 'high potential'-group.

There are newer employer reviews for Meltwater Group

Worked for Meltwater Group? Contribute to the Community!