There are newer employer reviews for Memorial Sloan-Kettering

All the hassles of a not-for-profit and none of the benefits

Current Employee - Administrative Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Administrative Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people themselves are amazing to work with--most of them are very smart and motivated, at least on the clinical side.

Cons

Where to begin? The administration is scattered and HR is a joke. Each department is run like its own little kingdom. When I interviewed, I took a huge pay cut but was promised normal working hours and tons of vacation time. 2 years in and I've never been able to take off more than the occasional long weekend; I have to take "junk" days just to keep my vacation bank from being full. Also, no sign of a raise or promotion in site. I'm looking elsewhere.

Take more responsibility for the promotion of your people. Make HR more accountable and less "corporate BS-y"

247 Other Employee Reviews for Memorial Sloan-Kettering (View Most Recent)

Terrible place to work in.

Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit is good. Good housing.

Cons

Nobody cares about your career future.

MSKCC is a non-profit medical research mecca with a very corporate attitude.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Pros

-Great reputation among the academic community
    -Competitive pay and benefits compared to other regional counterparts (i.e. Mt Sinai, NY-Presby, Columbia, NYU, etc.)
    -Not a great place to retire at, but a great career ladder

Cons

They get what they pay for and then some. Although pay and benefits are very competitive compared to other large NON-PROFIT academic communities, MSKCC has a very corporate attitude (heavy-handed bureaucracy, very political, etc). They are purportedly non-profit. However, there is high focus on production, publication, cost-cutting, etc. This translates into obscene work hours (50-60+ hrs/wk) for non-exempt employees that make having a work-life balance difficult. You may be making more than your medical/academic counterparts, but if you are treated like a corporate cog, you should receive pay equitable to the hamsters spinning the wheels of large pharmaceutical companies, consulting firms, etc. The great reputation of the place lies in the blood, sweat, and tears of non-tenure track research support staff, coordinators, interns, residents, fellows, scientists, scholars, and researchers. If you working directly for a drug company or contract research organization, you would be making significantly more for the hours you put in.

Recognize great talent from outside hires who have different perspectives on how other companies or academic institutions are run. Leverage this knowledge. Promote based on objective performance metrics, not just tenure. Seems like a lot of people are promoted internally not because they are the best performers, but because they kept their cubicle seats warm the longest and whine the loudest about how "I've been here for "x" years, therefore I should get a raise/promotion." It's good to reward "loyalty," but always remember: what you perceive as loyalty could actually be complacency and the signs of a stagnant, self-entitled employee that doesn't have much to contribute. Outside hires can encourage competition and bring fresh ideas. Since they go through the trouble of finding new work and "earning" a job offer, they are also more likely to be more motivated than internal hires who simply complain or badger about not getting raises/promotions.

There are newer employer reviews for Memorial Sloan-Kettering