Memorial Sloan-Kettering

www.mkscc.org

Where Did They Find All These Classy, Dignified Colleagues to Work With?

Current Employee - Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The coworkers. Everyone here is so helpful, open, and friendly. As a new employee from a hospital where finger-pointing was commonplace, I was looking for my new coworkers "angle". The MSKCC staff I've met, from doctors to assistants, are all genuinely nice. How did they find them all in NYC? I'm born and raised in NYC, so I can say that -- we know many of us have short fuses and rough edges, but not here at MSKCC.

Cons

Salary. Prices are going up monthly on everything -- just go to the grocery store, look at your monthly bills, think about what you spend for lunch now for the same choices. MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases. What helps make up for it is the friendly culture and their flex time options like telecommuting and days off if you work longer days. They also have good benefits and improved their retirement plan for 2013 with more contributions from MSKCC -- so they are trying.

1. Please conduct an in-depth review the staff salaries, especially being located in NYC. 2. RRL often has an odd sulfur odor in the lobby. 3. The main visitor waiting area (where the 2 escalators are) is getting shabby (ex: ripped seats) and dimly lit -- as the first impression of this world class hospital, it would help to renovate it to look like the attractive new inpatient floors which match the MSKCC reputation.

Other reviews for Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Wasn't fun

Pros

Time moves by fast, never a dull moment.

Cons

You never get a chance to breathe.

Fostering collaboration

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Memorial has done its best to create as collaborative an environment as possible and foster the cross-pollination of ideas across different arenas of research. There are numerous seminars in each department that are open to everyone and a number of initiatives that bring together like-minded researchers (for example, the Brain Tumor Center, annual retreats, post-doctoral symposiums).

Cons

I struggled on occasion to interact with members of the finance/management centers at Memorial to discuss the allocation of my grant funds. It took a long time to achieve a resolution to my problem.

There are newer employer reviews for Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!