Great work environment

Former Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- intelligent, diverse coworkers. Friendly.
- Hospital environment, good for future med students

Cons

- Not much room for growth as a session assistant. Its a good entry level position for people right out of college

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Where Did They Find All These Classy, Dignified Colleagues to Work With?

Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers. Everyone here is so helpful, open, and friendly. As a new employee from a hospital where finger-pointing was commonplace, I was looking for my new coworkers "angle". The MSKCC staff I've met, from doctors to assistants, are all genuinely nice. How did they find them all in NYC? I'm born and raised in NYC, so I can say that -- we know many of us have short fuses and rough edges, but not here at MSKCC.

Cons

Salary. Prices are going up monthly on everything -- just go to the grocery store, look at your monthly bills, think about what you spend for lunch now for the same choices. MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases. What helps make up for it is the friendly culture and their flex time options like telecommuting and days off if you work longer days. They also have good benefits and improved their retirement plan for 2013 with more contributions from MSKCC -- so they are trying.

Advice to Management

1. Please conduct an in-depth review the staff salaries, especially being located in NYC. 2. RRL often has an odd sulfur odor in the lobby. 3. The main visitor waiting area (where the 2 escalators are) is getting shabby (ex: ripped seats) and dimly lit -- as the first impression of this world class hospital, it would help to renovate it to look like the attractive new inpatient floors which match the MSKCC reputation.

Overworked and Underpaid

Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great benefits, wonderful co-workers

Cons

Lack of support from management, underqualified managers, emotional burnout, no merit based promotions. Compenstation not adequate for workload.

Advice to Management

promote staff based on skill. Listen to senior staff members. Encourage multi-department training to create well rounded staff.