There are newer employer reviews for Menards

Good job for high schoolers, not my preferred career choice.

Current Employee - Cashier in Hutchinson, MN
Current Employee - Cashier in Hutchinson, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-"Decent" pay for retail ($2.50 extra an hour on weekends) -Work every other weekend instead of all weekends -Easy to transfer to different stores I would recommend this job to a high schooler who needs some extra money, but I'm not sure how anyone can support a healthy family in this workplace.

Cons

-Inconsistent and over-controlling upper management -Incentives given to stay that seem great, but aren't really (yearly bonus if you work enough hours, but if they paid us $1 more an hour, we would make more) -Only Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays off -Pay tops off for part time at less than a dollar more than a new-hire high school graduate, even if you've worked there for 5+years -long hours -high turnover rate from dissatisfied workers

Advice to Management

Let your managers do their jobs and make judgements. Don't change the rules every time one person makes a mistake; it gets confusing what you want us to do. Also, why such a huge pay difference between a GM and a FEM. I've been in stores where our FEM does five times the work the GM does. Spread out the pay a little maybe? There is a common phrase among the lower-paid workers when dealing with angry guests: "I'm not paid enough to deal with this." I'm experienced and would stay with this company longer if I was paid a little more. The second I have an opportunity to leave, I will.

Other Employee Reviews for Menards

1. I need to find a new job

Current Employee - Department Manager in Chesterfield, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Chesterfield, MI

I have been working at Menards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can move up fast. They only promote from within. They offer a Management Training Program so you can become an assistant department manager in 3 months. They are always opening new stores.

Cons

They require you to move and work long hours. You only get a couple vacation days to start when your full time and it is based on how long you work there. It takes 3 years to get 10 days off.

Advice to Management

Don't work your Managers such long shifts. I would rather work 5 8 hour days than 12+hour days.

2. they helped me with experience in many different job areas.

Current Employee - First Assistant Front End Manager in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - First Assistant Front End Manager in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Menards full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have great oppertunities to move up into management. Flexible for students. In-Home training to learn about everything in the store.

Cons

Stressful for families. A lot of hours for Managers with no exceptions without a doctors note. Not many cons about Menards.

Advice to Management

Learn how to teach people in different ways. Everybody learns differently