There are newer employer reviews for Menards

Be prepared to kiss ass.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Yankton, SD
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Yankton, SD

I have been working at Menards full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, Good corporate structure, Profit sharing, Good training (in Theory) - The advancement training system they have set up is a good idea.

Cons

Poor moral, Favoritism, Sexual harassment, Pressure/threats to work past scheduled hours and do work outside job description, Poor training (in practice) - Management at my current location previously lost his position due to sexual harassment lawsuit filed against the company when he "fraternized" on the premises with a lower lever employee. Five years later he has a GM position again and is up to his old tricks. He has a group of favorites he ignores policy for and allows them to violate Menard's policy while he fires others who he doesn't like on a personal level for minor infractions. He's going to get this company in trouble again and probably cost them more $$. Laugh at his jokes and flirt with him if you work here if you value your position because the Management is a cabal of "Yes Men/Women" who are willing to kiss the GM's ass to keep their jobs ... although the bad mouth him behind his back. The GM is unreasonable in many of his requests and often does his best to try and make others look/feel less competent than him. He will belittle and insult others, but he instantly responds with threats to imagined insults he thinks are aimed at him.

Advice to Management

Similar to your "secret shopper" program you should institute a "secret employee" program so that you can see what's going on in your stores when there is no announced GO visit. Retrain your managers in understanding what sexual harassment (to employees and guests) is and how to avoid it. Emphasize training is to actually be executed and not just signed off on as "completed" with a system of periodic checks and balances.

Other Employee Reviews for Menards

1. Good job for high schoolers, not my preferred career choice.

Current Employee - Cashier in Hutchinson, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Hutchinson, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-"Decent" pay for retail ($2.50 extra an hour on weekends) -Work every other weekend instead of all weekends -Easy to transfer to different stores I would recommend this job to a high schooler who needs some extra money, but I'm not sure how anyone can support a healthy family in this workplace.

Cons

-Inconsistent and over-controlling upper management -Incentives given to stay that seem great, but aren't really (yearly bonus if you work enough hours, but if they paid us $1 more an hour, we would make more) -Only Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays off -Pay tops off for part time at less than a dollar more than a new-hire high school graduate, even if you've worked there for 5+years -long hours -high turnover rate from dissatisfied workers

Advice to Management

Let your managers do their jobs and make judgements. Don't change the rules every time one person makes a mistake; it gets confusing what you want us to do. Also, why such a huge pay difference between a GM and a FEM. I've been in stores where our FEM does five times the work the GM does. Spread out the pay a little maybe? There is a common phrase among the lower-paid workers when dealing with angry guests: "I'm not paid enough to deal with this." I'm experienced and would stay with this company longer if I was paid a little more. The second I have an opportunity to leave, I will.

2. I need to find a new job

Current Employee - Department Manager in Chesterfield, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Chesterfield, MI

I have been working at Menards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can move up fast. They only promote from within. They offer a Management Training Program so you can become an assistant department manager in 3 months. They are always opening new stores.

Cons

They require you to move and work long hours. You only get a couple vacation days to start when your full time and it is based on how long you work there. It takes 3 years to get 10 days off.

Advice to Management

Don't work your Managers such long shifts. I would rather work 5 8 hour days than 12+hour days.