Menards

www.menards.com
There are newer employer reviews for Menards

Overkworked, Underpayed

I worked at Menards

Pros

As much overtime as you want

Cons

Was part time, working more than 40 hours a week, while going to college.. Because i didn't have unlimited availability i wasnt able to go full time, which would have been a substantial pay raise (2-3$ an hour more)

709 Other Employee Reviews for Menards (View Most Recent)

Good job for high schoolers, not my preferred career choice.

Current Employee - Cashier in Hutchinson, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Hutchinson, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-"Decent" pay for retail ($2.50 extra an hour on weekends)
    -Work every other weekend instead of all weekends
    -Easy to transfer to different stores

I would recommend this job to a high schooler who needs some extra money, but I'm not sure how anyone can support a healthy family in this workplace.

Cons

-Inconsistent and over-controlling upper management
    -Incentives given to stay that seem great, but aren't really (yearly bonus if you work enough hours, but if they paid us $1 more an hour, we would make more)
    -Only Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays off
    -Pay tops off for part time at less than a dollar more than a new-hire high school graduate, even if you've worked there for 5+years
    -long hours
    -high turnover rate from dissatisfied workers

Let your managers do their jobs and make judgements. Don't change the rules every time one person makes a mistake; it gets confusing what you want us to do. Also, why such a huge pay difference between a GM and a FEM. I've been in stores where our FEM does five times the work the GM does. Spread out the pay a little maybe?

There is a common phrase among the lower-paid workers when dealing with angry guests: "I'm not paid enough to deal with this." I'm experienced and would stay with this company longer if I was paid a little more. The second I have an opportunity to leave, I will.

I need to find a new job

Current Employee - Department Manager in Chesterfield, MI
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Chesterfield, MI

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can move up fast. They only promote from within. They offer a Management Training Program so you can become an assistant department manager in 3 months. They are always opening new stores.

Cons

They require you to move and work long hours. You only get a couple vacation days to start when your full time and it is based on how long you work there. It takes 3 years to get 10 days off.

Don't work your Managers such long shifts. I would rather work 5 8 hour days than 12+hour days.

There are newer employer reviews for Menards