Menards

www.menards.com
  www.menards.com
There are newer employer reviews for Menards

My experience at Menards was a learning experience. It taught me to never work retail ever again

Former Employee - Department Manager in Homer Glen, IL
Former Employee - Department Manager in Homer Glen, IL

I worked at Menards full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonuses
additional pay on weekends
co workers

Cons

No work life balance
Low pay
Different stores operate different
Store managers at Homer Glen are lazy don't no what it take to run a successful store

N/A

692 Other Employee Reviews for Menards (View Most Recent)

Great job for just starting out

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in West Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in West Fargo, ND

I worked at Menards part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management was extremely polite and understanding. Everyone was pretty nice and I enjoyed most of my time at Menards.

Cons

Pay was horrible; $8.25 starting, with a $2.50 differential if you worked Sat or Sunday. Though not minimum wage, I needed to help support a family of 3 so it doesn't go very far.

Pretty simple; your sales team members need to know a ton of things (at least in Building Materials), they should be either paid better or make some kind of commission. The SPIF thing really doesn't work out very well.

Great place to work for part time or while going to school. Not good enough pay for managers or full time employees.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling, IL

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay for part time employees. Good job for students to transfer to different colleges. Managers barely make enough to support a family. Can move up in company but must move from current location. Profit sharing is good but they dangle it like a carrot to keep employees and mistreat them.

Cons

Managers are over worked and under paid. Managers work long hours and every other weekend. Won't make enough full time or part time to support a family. Encouraged to up sell and sell, sell, sell.

Management is strict about things like taking long lunch breaks or not working overtime. In the past this was not the case. Satisfying the guest by being honest and not unnecessarily up-selling would increase guest topic and make more money by creating guest loyalty.

There are newer employer reviews for Menards