Menards

There are newer employer reviews for Menards

Solid 4/5

Current Employee - Carryout
Current Employee - Carryout

I have been working at Menards full-time

Pros

Bonus pay on weekends
Opportunities for different employment through working with contractors
Team members enjoy reputation of being more helpful than competitors.
Opportunities to help guests select an item (enjoyable process)

Cons

Pay is not horrible but could be improved.
Not a good chance of advancement without moving to a different state.

Improve the "fun" factor: weekly pizza parties? shopping cart races? The environment is somewhat joyless and that is my only complaint.

709 Other Employee Reviews for Menards (View Most Recent)

causal part time able to pick up extra hours during seasonal change overs yet not committed to staying past 9 am.

Current Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Burlington, WI
    Current Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Burlington, WI

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than an year)

Pros

have rest of day for another part time job , doc appointments, kid schedule changes. Very understanding for medical emergency but have paper work to show proof.

Cons

Point system a little annoying. One size fits all shifts, all employee and all situations. No one know they are going to be sick by store close night before for 5am shift. No points are given if you can drag self into work say I'm sick and go home.

Shop? Absolutely. Work? Run.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Menards full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I wrote a lengthy review a while ago, but apparently I was too honest and it got deleted... This one will be far shorter.

Only pro: You can wander and chit chat with people.

Cons

By far the worst employment experience of my life. If you're thinking about getting a job there, run, run, run. Don't ruin your life.

- Managers don't know how to manage. At all.
    - GM's are completely worthless - They do NOTHING. Ever.
    - The hours are complete trash. Good luck having a social life. Or a life at all for that matter.
    - I could find more money in my couch cushion than the man that's worth $7 billion is willing to pay his employees.
    - You work a 12 hour day and only get a half hour for lunch.
    - 10-12 hour days are your normal work days.
    - Anything the guest wants, the guest gets. (If you want to shop there, do it. You'll get anything you want. Products discounted to at or even below company cost, free products, special treatment)
    - Guests are beyond rude; if you were in the electrical dept, they think you're a licensed electrician. If you work in the plumbing dept, they think you're a licensed plumber. Etc. And they will get mad at you for not knowing.
    - They come up with bogus excuses not to pay you your SPIFs that you EARN... I had to fight with them over $80. And they still wouldn't give it to me. Not that I even cared about the money, its the principle of it at that point.
    - I went through the Manager Trainee program, which is a paper-filled joke. Hope you like reading hundreds upon hundreds of policies for 3 months straight. Got offered a job upon passing all of my tests with flying colors, told the GM of that store that I know nothing about that department. To which he responded "that's fine, you'll learn." So I was hired on as that Assistant manager. Proves they hire managers and assistant managers with zero knowledge of products/departments.

I wish I could go on, but unlike Menards, I have a life and don't want to sit on the computer forever. Just wanted to save some people who read this, some time and sanity before applying for a job at Menards.

- Learn your jobs. Do your jobs--CORRECTLY.
    - Start monitoring the GMs and what they do and DON'T do. They get away with murder and think they're king. Really? You're a manager at a Menards. You're nobody.
    - Actually pay your employees. They give up they're lives for you... I had my GM tell me, when I needed a weekend off for my BROTHER'S WEDDING, "when you work for Menards, Menards is your life. You become Menards. You need to get your priorities in line." Needless to say, I ended up taking that weekend off and being the best man in my brother's wedding anyway.
    - Quit treating employees like they're prisoners. The cameras should be used for security purposes. Not to spy on your employees... I had an Assistant General Manager talk to me about a female employee he's been "checking out" via the camera system, on a regular, daily basis because he thought she was cute. He was 36. She was a cashier... Still in high school... He actually ended up confronting her about talking to other guys from what he saw on the cameras. Disgusting.
    - Tell your GM's and managers to quit having physical relationships with younger employees/cashiers. It's all too common and disgusting. Especially when the male GMs and managers are married.

Last but absolutely not least, I'd say just do yourselves a favor; wipe the company clean and start completely over. Owning a company shouldn't just be about dollar signs (which Menards is). It should be about treating your employees right. Happy employees means happy guests, which would in turn, give you more dollar signs.

We'll see if this review gets deleted, too.

There are newer employer reviews for Menards