Great people doing Great work

I have been working at Mental Health Cooperative (More than 3 years)

Pros

Doing good work for the community

Cons

Reallly don't have any Con's

Other Employee Reviews for Mental Health Cooperative

Poor management

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

Pros

My fellow case managers are awesome, mileage reimbursement, helping the consumers, good place to get experience then leave, will hire college grads with no experience

Cons

Completely focused on the numbers and money, not the people with mental illnesses. Poor management. My supervisor is completely incompetent. The case managers are treated like low men on the totem pole nor their opinions of their supervisors valued. Case managers are "replaceable." Paid time off is a joke, even when you take time off, you are expected to meet your quota. The case managers are expected to do EVERYTHING. My supervisor basically plays on facebook and talks on her phone all day. But if you complain, YOU get in trouble. The mentality is "do whatever it takes", however, for $25,000 a year I'm not sure what they expect. My advice is to get experience here and then move on.

Advice to Management

Listen to your case managers concerns, try to reward for quality and not quantity, provide incentives for quality, not quantity, give your supervisors a small caseload themselves, take some basic business classes.

2. Incredible Place to Work

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Mental Health Cooperative full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This agency gives ample paid time off. This agency is generous with Employer Match for retirement. If you're under the right person, there is great opportunity for advancement. The agency has grown over the years; it can feel like a big company at times. However, the CEO emailed my wife (also former employee) on her birthday to wish her Happy Birthday, and emailed me on my last day to thank me for my hard work over the years. Several other members of Upper Management (Vice Presidents, etc.) also wished me well and told me I was appreciated. This kind of culture makes employees feel valued.

Cons

In certain areas, you have to be under the right person for advancement opportunities. Some Program Managers are diligent about fostering professional growth, some are not.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to keep the original Mission Statement in mind going forward. To this point, MHC has remained true to its roots. However, some potential future changes at the top may bring too much of a 'big business' feel. My analogy may be silly, but I think it's easy to understand. Don't become MTV. MTV started as 'Music Television.' They played music videos all day long. 30 years later, no videos can be found on this channel. Now it's all Reality Shows. Why? Because that's where the money is. I understand that making money is not a bad thing. Just always remember that MHC was founded as a Case Management Agency, partnering with Crisis and Clinic. While changes to the industry require adaptation and innovation, there is such thing as too many new ideas.